All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionArt and Porgraphy presents a series of essays which investigate the artistic status and aesthetic dimension of porgraphic pictures, films, and literature, and explores the distinction, if there is any, between porgraphy and erotic art. Is there any overlap between art and porgraphy, or are the two mutually exclusive? If they are, why is that? If they are t, how might we characterize porgraphic art or artistic porgraphy, and how might porgraphic art be distinguished, if at all, from erotic art? Can there be aesthetic experience of porgraphy? What are some of the psychological, social, and political consequences of the creation and appreciation of erotic art or artistic porgraphy? Leading scholars from around the world address these questions, and more, and bring together different aesthetic perspectives and approaches to this widely consumed, increasingly visible, yet aesthetically underexplored cultural domain. The book, the first of its kind in philosophical aesthetics, will contribute to a more accurate and subtle understanding of the many representations that incorporate explicit sexual imagery and themes, in both high art and demotic culture, in Western and n-Western contexts. It is sure to stir debate, and healthy controversy.
- Author BiographyHans Maes received his PhD from the University of Leuven, Belgium, and conducted postdoctoral research at the University of Helsinki, Finland, and University of Maryland, USA. He is currently Lecturer in History and Philosophy of Art at the University of Kent and Associate Director of the Aesthetics Research Group. He has authored papers on a variety of subjects in aesthetics, including the role of intention in the interpretation of art, the notion of free beauty, and the relation between art and pornography. In 2010 he was elected President of the Dutch Society for Aesthetics. Jerrold Levinson is Distinguished Professor of Philosophy at the University of Maryland, College Park, where he has taught since 1976. He is the author of Music, Art, and Metaphysics (Cornell University Press, 1990), The Pleasures of Aesthetics (Cornell University Press, 1996), Music in the Moment (Cornell University Press, 1998), L=art, la musique, et l=histoire (Editions de l'eclat, 1998), La musique de film: fiction et narration (Presses Universitaires de Pau, 2000), and Contemplating Art (OUP, 2006), as well as editor of Aesthetics and Ethics (CUP, 1998) and The Oxford Handbook of Aesthetics (OUP, 2003), and co-editor of Aesthetic Concepts (OUP, 2001).
- PublisherOxford University Press
- Date of Publication02/07/2015
- SubjectThe Arts: General & Reference
- Place of PublicationOxford
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintOxford University Press
- Weight518 g
- Width161 mm
- Height233 mm
- Spine18 mm
- Edited byHans Maes,Jerrold Levinson
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $79.67Trending at AU $111.07
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $74.34
- AU $35.44Trending at AU $40.70
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $79.33
- AU $19.36Trending at AU $23.93
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $49.01
- AU $16.99Trending at AU $18.30
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.