All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionLewis Mumford - architectural critic, theorist of techlogy, urbalogist, city planner, cultural critic, historian, biographer, and philosopher - was the author of more than thirty influential books, many of which expounded his views on the perils of urban sprawl and a society obsessed with technics. Featuring a new introduction by Casey Nelson Blake, this classic text provides the essence of Mumford's views on the distinct yet interpenetrating roles of techlogy and the arts in modern culture. Mumford contends that modern man's overemphasis on technics has contributed to the depersonalization and emptiness of much of twentieth-century life. He issues a call for a renewed respect for artistic impulses and achievements. His repeated insistence that techlogical development take the Human as its measure - as well as his impassioned plea for humanity to make the most of its splendid potentialities and promise and reverse its progress toward amie and destruction - is ever more relevant as the new century dawns.
- Author BiographyLewis Mumford (1895-1979) was the author of numerous important books on American culture, technology, architecture, and urban life, including Technics and Civilization (1934); The Culture of Cities (1938); The City in History (1961); Myth of the Machine I: Technics and Human Development (1967); and Myth of the Machine II: Pentagon of Power (1970).Casey Nelson Blake is professor of history and American studies at Columbia University and the author of Beloved Community: The Cultural Criticism of Randolph Bourne, Van Wyck Brooks, Waldo Frank, and Lewis Mumford.
- Author(s)Lewis Mumford
- PublisherColumbia University Press
- Date of Publication11/10/2000
- SubjectThe Arts: General & Reference
- Series TitleBampton Lectures in America S.
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintColumbia University Press
- Weight227 g
- Width133 mm
- Height210 mm
- Spine13 mm
- Foreword byCasey Nelson Blake
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
- AU $61.65New
- AU $7.64New
- AU $20.61New
- AU $33.28New
- AU $29.94New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $59.99Trending at AU $61.65
- AU $3.99Trending at AU $7.65
- AU $40.94Trending at AU $51.58
- AU $29.54Trending at AU $29.94
- AU $56.80Trending at AU $63.10
- AU $49.30Trending at AU $52.75
- AU $26.83Trending at AU $30.82
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.