All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionFor much of the last half-century, George Dickie has been one of the preeminent philosophers of art in the Anglo-American tradition, deeply influencing the generations of theorists who have followed. He is most frequently associated with his 'institutional theory of art', which situates the classification of objects as artworks in social practices and institutions, rather than in the ontology of objects or in features of human psychology. Art and Value focuses broadly on questions of history, methods, and the nature of art theories, as well as the value and evaluation of art. The discussions are crisp and clear, and the conclusions are consistently illuminating. This book serves as a valuable primer to aesthetics, as well as a summary and extension of Dickie's contribution to the field.
- Author BiographyGeorge Dickie is a Professor Emeritus at the University of Illinois at Chicago. He is the author of Aesthetics: An Introduction (1971), Art and the Aesthetic: An Institutional Analysis (1974), The Art Circle (1984), The Century of Taste (1996), and Evaluating Art (1988). He co-edited Aesthetics: A Critical Anthology (1989, second edition), and Introduction to Aesthetics (1997).
- Author(s)George Dickie
- PublisherJohn Wiley and Sons Ltd
- Date of Publication17/09/2001
- SubjectThe Arts: General & Reference
- Place of PublicationOxford
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintBlackwell Publishers
- Content Note0
- Weight298 g
- Width160 mm
- Height240 mm
- Spine14 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $35.04Trending at AU $36.61
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $34.87
- AU $28.63Trending at AU $30.29
- AU $32.21Trending at AU $40.50
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $24.21
- AU $39.30Trending at AU $40.08
- AU $34.17Trending at AU $35.13
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.