All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe concept of art as being purely for aesthetic contemplation, that is typical of industrial civilization, is t a very useful one for cross-cultural studies. The majority of the art forms that we see in museums and art books that have come from Native America or Africa or Oceania, are objects that were once part of a larger artistic whole from which they have been extracted. We need to try to piece together and imagine the artistic context as well as the cultural one if we are to attain a deeper sense of the import than the piece available to use provides. Even then, it is almost impossible to define the artistic whole. Perhaps we would do better to regard these pieces as fragments from the lifestyle of a people.
- Author BiographyEVELYN PAYNE HATCHER is Professor Emeritus of Anthropology at St. Cloud State University, and Adjunct Professor at the University of Minnesota. Her previous works published include Art as Culture: An Introduction to the Anthropology of Art (1985).
- Author(s)Evelyn Payne Hatcher
- Date of Publication30/03/1999
- SubjectThe Arts: General & Reference
- Place of PublicationWestport
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintGreenwood Press
- Content Noteglossary, bibliography
- Weight659 g
- Width155 mm
- Height235 mm
- Spine30 mm
- Edition Statement2nd Revised edition
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $80.51Trending at AU $111.62
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $74.36
- AU $35.81Trending at AU $40.71
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $79.34
- AU $18.96Trending at AU $23.93
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $49.02
- AU $17.16Trending at AU $18.30
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.