All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionTwo authorities on popular culture reveal the ways in which art can enhance mood and enrich lives - w available in paperback This passionate, thought-provoking, often funny, and always-accessible book proposes a new way of looking at art, suggesting that it can be useful, relevant, and therapeutic. Through practical examples, the world-rewned authors argue that certain great works of art have clues as to how to manage the tensions and confusions of modern life. Chapters on love, nature, money, and politics show how art can help with many common difficulties, from forging good relationships to coming to terms with mortality.
- Author BiographyAlain de Botton is the author of bestselling books, including The Consolations of Philosophy, How Proust Can Change Your Life, Status Anxiety, and Religion for Atheists. He founded The School of Life in 2008, an organization which - from branches around the world - supplies good ideas for everyday life in the form of books, workshops, and talks. In 2009 he founded Living Architecture, which makes high-quality architecture accessible to everyone. John Armstrong is a philosopher and art theorist based at Melbourne University in Australia. He is the author of several well-received books, including The Intimate Philosophy of Art, and Conditions of Love.
- Author(s)Alain Botton,Dr. John Armstrong
- PublisherPhaidon Press Ltd
- Date of Publication24/10/2016
- SubjectFamily & Health: General
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintPhaidon Press Ltd
- Content Noteillustrations
- Weight386 g
- Width131 mm
- Height198 mm
- Spine18 mm
Most relevant reviews
- bigalsmith7605 Jan, 2017by
Compelling reading for anyone who has ever wondered what the true value or meaning of art is.
In my humble opinion, Alain de Botton is the smartest man on the planet. This book addresses some of the most significant issues in the world today with relationships, human needs and emotions, morality, citizenship, and economic systems. It skillfully and seamlessly incorporates the use of a wide range of artistic examples (reproduced in full colour) to provide examples and illustrate the points discussed. I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book! If only more people would take the time to read books like this and reflect on the "big issues" in life the world would be an infinitely better place. You will learn a lot through reading "Art as Therapy".
Verified purchase: Yes | Condition: New
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $79.64Trending at AU $111.11
- AU $35.06Trending at AU $40.71
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $78.04
- AU $18.76Trending at AU $24.44
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $49.03
- AU $16.98Trending at AU $18.30
- AU $51.96Trending at AU $53.08