All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionAimed at collectors and investors, this user-friendly guide explains art's value as an asset through comparisons with more familiar investments, including property, shares and gold. It draws on extensive research and interviews with key players in these other markets, as well as the author's own experience, to clarify the specifics of art as an asset class.This timely book considers the growing importance attributed to art as an investment, testing the validity of claims about art's capacity to generate returns that outweigh its risks. It offers jargon-free explanations of how the characteristics of blue-chip art can be seen to coincide with and diverge from the fundamental features of more established types of asset. Key issues addressed include the role of subjectivity in the perception of value; the failure of attempts to establish stock markets for art; the risks and shortcomings of art funds; banks' reluctance to lend against art; and the art world's distaste for selling and speculation.This thorough but accessible text from a respected art market professional is essential reading for art investors and prospective art investors.
- Author BiographyMelanie Gerlis has been the Art Market editor of The Art Newspaper since 2006, reporting on auctions, art fairs and market news globally since then. She previously worked for ten years at RLM Finsbury, a strategic communications and investor relations firm, advising investment banks, hedge funds and other financial services clients. She has a BA in English Literature from Cambridge University and an MA in Art Business from Sotheby's Institute, London.
- Author(s)Melanie Gerlis
- PublisherLund Humphries Publishers Ltd
- Date of Publication28/01/2014
- SubjectThe Arts: General & Reference
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintLund Humphries Publishers Ltd
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine29 mm
- Edition StatementNew edition
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $27.54Trending at AU $43.90
- AU $80.99Trending at AU $87.85
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $77.47
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $73.18
- AU $78.98Trending at AU $85.35
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.34
- AU $34.79Trending at AU $42.60
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.