All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionTracing the revolutionary creation of what art historian Stephen Eisenman calls a highly individualized, ble portrait of an African man, Art of the Amistad and The Portrait of Cinque is built around visual and material culture, and thus does t use images merely as illustration, but tells its story through the wide range of images and materials presented. While the Portrait of Cinque seems to sit quietly behind Plexiglass at a local history museum, the impact of this 175-year old painting is palpable; very few portraits from the 19th century-let alone a portrait of a black man-remain a relevant part of culture as the Portrait of Cinque continues to be today. Art of the Amistad the Portrait of Cinque is about the art and artifacts that continue to inform and inspire our understanding of transatlantic history-a journey 175 years in the making.
- Author BiographyLaura A. Macaluso was born in Norwalk, Connecticut and currently resides in Lynchburg, Virginia near the Blue Ridge Parkway. She has taught art history, worked and lived at historic sites and written about cultural heritage (specifically museum collections, monuments and murals) for twenty years. She was awarded a Fulbright in 2008-2009 to work at the National Museum in Swaziland in southern Africa, and returned in 2010 under a cultural heritage preservation grant from the State Department. Recent projects include the exhibit An Artist at War: Deane Keller, New Haven's Monuments Man and the accompanying article in the Winter 2014/2015 issue of Connecticut Explored magazine. She is completing her doctoral dissertation which explores the relationship between art and city identity in the Humanities/Cultural and Historic Preservation departments at Salve Regina University (Newport, RI).
- Author(s)Laura A. Macaluso
- PublisherRowman & Littlefield
- Date of Publication23/03/2016
- SubjectFine Arts / Art History
- Series TitleAmerican Association for State & Local History
- Place of PublicationLanham, MD
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintRowman & Littlefield Publishers
- Content Noteillustrations
- Weight422 g
- Width158 mm
- Height238 mm
- Spine20 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $99.00Trending at AU $101.13
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $79.66
- AU $104.88Trending at AU $108.26
- AU $67.99Trending at AU $71.39
- AU $61.99Trending at AU $63.74
- AU $95.88Trending at AU $99.57
- AU $89.90Trending at AU $112.26
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.