All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionArt on Fire is the apparent biography of subversive painter Francesca deSilva, the founding foremother of pseudorealism, who lived hard and died young. But in the tradition of Vladimir Nabokov's acclaimed vel Pale Fire, it's a fiction from start to finish. It opens with Francesca's early life. We learn about her childhood love, the chess genius Lisa Sinsong, as well as her rivalry with her brilliant sister Isabella, who publishes an acclaimed volume of poetry at the age of twelve. She compensates for the failings of her less than attentive parents by turning to her grandmother who is loyal and adoring until she learns Francesca is a lesbian, when she rejects her. Francesca flees to a ramshackle cabin in Wellfleet, Massachusetts, working weekends at the flea market. She breaks into the gloomy basement of a house, where she begins her life as a painter. Much to her confusion and even dismay, fame comes quickly.Interspersed with Francesca's narrative are thirteen critical essays on the paintings of Francesca deSilva by critics, academics, and psychologists--essays that are razor-sharp satires on art, lesbian life, and the academic world, puncturing pretentiousness with every paragraph. Art on Fire is a darkly comic, pitch-perfect, and fearless satire on the very art of biography itself. Art on Fire is the latest winner of the Bywater Prize for Fiction and was a finalist for the Heekin Foundation Award, the Dana Awards, and the Story Oaks Prize. It was mistakenly awarded the nfiction prize in the Amherst Book and Plow Competition.
- Author BiographyHilary Sloin makes her living as a freelance editor, handling all kinds of works. She's also been writing--fiction, essays and more--for years. Sloin says her two-way window into the process of writing has proven valuable. Editing other people's work has made her a better writer.
- Author(s)Hilary Sloin
- PublisherBywater Books
- Date of Publication01/12/2012
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectGeneral & Literary Fiction
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintBywater Books
- Weight363 g
- Width137 mm
- Height213 mm
- Spine20 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
Best-selling in Fiction Books
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $16.95Trending at AU $19.69
- AU $47.99Trending at AU $53.24
- AU $29.99Trending at AU $31.13
- AU $47.56Trending at AU $49.64
- AU $26.48Trending at AU $34.75
- AU $27.13Trending at AU $27.89
- AU $11.85Trending at AU $14.33
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.