All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe Canadian War Museum possesses one of the finest twentieth-century official war art collections in the world. Until relatively recently, however, the collection has received limited public attention. In Art or Memorial?, author Laura Brandon explores some of the reasons why this may have been the case. At various times throughout its history, the war art collection has receded from and re-emerged in the nations collective consciousness. Nevertheless, as an invaluable part of the official record of war in Canada, it is profoundly significant. Brandon argues that the value of the collection lies less in its artistic merit and more in its role as a site of memory. Art or Memorial? seeks to illuminate Canadian war arts sometimes-hidden presence in the nations memory and to show, through both its presence and its absence, how it helped to shape, and will continue to influence, how we remember as a nation.
- Author BiographyLaura Brandon is the Curator of War Art at the Canadian War Museum in Ottawa. She has written extensively on war art and Canadian art history. Peg by Herself, her groundbreaking biography of war artist Pegi Nicol MacLeod, was published in 2005 and her award-winning exhibition, Canvas of War, toured Canada from 2000-2004.
- Author(s)Laura Brandon
- PublisherUniversity of Calgary Press
- Date of Publication01/10/2005
- SubjectFine Arts / Art History
- Place of PublicationCalgary
- Country of PublicationCanada
- ImprintUniversity of Calgary Press
- Content Note36 colour photos
- Weight750 g
- Width218 mm
- Height285 mm
- Spine15 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $28.44Trending at AU $30.29
- AU $79.89Trending at AU $89.84
- AU $17.60Trending at AU $21.95
- AU $31.46Trending at AU $40.37
- AU $22.32Trending at AU $34.59
- AU $39.51Trending at AU $40.01
- AU $40.67Trending at AU $41.16
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.