Artisans and Cooperatives: Developing Alternative Trade for the Global Economy by University of Arizona Press (Paperback, 2000)
Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $37.12Free postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by buyitnowbooksoz2010
- See details for delivery est.
- AU $36.95+ AU $7.95 postage
- Good condition
- Sold by ausreseller
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionWith new markets opening up for goods produced by artisans from all parts of the world, craft commercialization and craft industries have become key components of local ecomies. Now with the emergence of the Fair Trade movement and public opposition to sweatshop labor, many people are demanding that artisans in third world countries t be exploited for their labor. Bringing together case studies from the Americas and Asia, this timely collection of articles addresses the interplay among subsistence activities, craft production, and the global market. It contributes to current debates on ecomic inequality by offering practical examples of the political, ecomic, and cultural issues surrounding artisan production as an expressive vehicle of ethnic and gender identity. Striking a balance between ecomic and ethgraphic analyses, the contributors observe what has worked and what hasn't in a range of craft cooperatives and show how some artisans have expanded their entrepreneurial role by marketing crafts in addition to producing them. Among the topics discussed are the accommodation of craft traditions in the global market, fair trade issues, and the emerging role of the anthropologist as a proactive agent for artisan groups. As the gap between rich and poor widens, the fate of subsistence ecomies seems more and more uncertain. The artisans in this book show that people can and do employ invative opportunities to develop their talents, and in the process strengthen their ethnic identities. ContentsIntroduction: Facing the Challenges of Artisan Production in the Global Market / Kimberly M. Grimes and B. Lynne MilgramDemocratizing International Production and Trade: North American Alternative Trading Organizations / Kimberly M. GrimesBuilding on Local Strengths: Nepalese Fair Trade Textiles / Rachel MacHenry That They Be in the Middle, Lord : Women, Weaving, and Cultural Survival in Highland Chiapas, Mexico / Christine E. EberThe International Craft Market: A Double-Edged Sword for Guatemalan Maya Women / Martha LyndOf Women, Hope, and Angels: Fair Trade and Artisan Production in a Squatter Settlement in Guatemala City / Brenda RosenbaumReorganizing Textile Production for the Global Market: Women s Craft Cooperatives in Ifugao, Upland Philippines / B. Lynne MilgramTextile Production in Rural Oaxaca, Mexico, and the Complexities of the Global Market for Handmade Crafts / Jeffrey H. Cohen Part-Time for Pin Money : The Legacy of Navajo Women s Craft Production / Kathy M CloskeyThe Hard Sell: Anthropologists as Brokers of Crafts in the Global Marketplace / Andrew CauseyPostscript: To Market, To Market / June Nash
- Author BiographyKimberly M. Grimesis Assistant Professor of Anthropology at the University of Delaware in Georgetown and Director of Made By Hand International Cooperative in Bethany, Delaware. B. Lynne Milgram teaches anthropology at the University of Toronto and is a research associate at the Royal Ontario Museum. Her articles on the commercialization of Philippine crafts have appeared in the journals Museum Anthropology and Research in Economic Anthropology.
- PublisherUniversity of Arizona Press
- Date of Publication01/09/2000
- SubjectManagement & Business: General
- Place of PublicationTucson
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity of Arizona Press
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight327 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine13 mm
- Edited byB. Lynne Milgram,Kimberly M. Grimes
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $37.00Trending at AU $37.79
- AU $23.50Trending at AU $28.78
- AU $27.51Trending at AU $30.65
- AU $17.51Trending at AU $30.49
- AU $6.90Trending at AU $9.90
- AU $15.62Trending at AU $17.49
- AU $21.93Trending at AU $30.25
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.