All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionWhile global cities have mostly been characterized as sites of intensive and extensive ecomic activity, the quest for global city status also increasingly rests on the creative production and consumption of culture and the arts. Arts, Culture and the Making of Global Cities examines such ambitions and projects undertaken in five major cities in Asia: Beijing, Shanghai, Hong Kong, Taipei and Singapore. Providing a thorough comparison of their urban imaging strategies and attempts to harness arts and culture, as well as more organically evolved arts activities and spaces, this book analyses the relative successes and failures of these cities. Offering rich ethgraphic detail drawn from extensive fieldwork, the authors challenge city strategies and existing urban theories about cultural and creative clusters and reveal the many complexities in the art of city-making. This teworthy study will appeal to undergraduate and graduate students, as well as academics from a variety of disciplines -ranging from urban and cultural geography to Asian studies. Arts and cultural policy makers and artists will also find this a fascinating read.
- Author BiographyLily Kong, Provost and Lee Kong Chian Professor of Social Sciences, Singapore Management University, Ching Chia-ho and Chou Tsu-Lung, National Taipei University, Taiwan
- Author(s)C. H. Ching,Chou Tsu-Lung,Lily Kong
- PublisherEdward Elgar Publishing Ltd
- Date of Publication30/01/2015
- SubjectSocial Studies: General
- Place of PublicationCheltenham
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintEdward Elgar Publishing Ltd
- Width234 mm
- Height156 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $79.68Trending at AU $111.07
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $74.34
- AU $35.44Trending at AU $40.70
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $79.33
- AU $19.36Trending at AU $23.93
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $49.01
- AU $16.99Trending at AU $18.30
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.