All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionWhen the harrowing Great War diaries of one of Britain's first black soldiers were unearthed in a dusty Scottish attic nearly 100 years after they were written, they posed a bit of a mystery. The diary entries - ranging from May 1917 to March 1918 - were written by one Arthur Roberts while he served initially with the King's Own Scottish Borderers before being transferred to Royal Scots Fusiliers in 1917. He details what life was like for him during the First World War, how he survived the Battle of Passchendaele, and how he escaped unscathed when a German shell killed a dozen men round him. Yet Arthur was an otherwise unkwn man - what was the rest of his life like? Now, Morag Miller and Roy Laycock have painstakingly researched Roberts' life history, filling in the gaps. From his birth in Bristol, to his life in Glasgow and time at the front, they provide here much more than just a war memoir. This is a unique history of one man's remarkable life. Beautifully illustrated with Roberts' own accomplished photographs and artwork, As Good As Any Man is the remarkable biography of one of Britain's black Tommies.
- Author BiographyMorag Miller has experience iworking in the media, which led to Jim Wilson, Allison O'Neill, and Steve Wallwork coming forward, three people who knew Arthur Roberts when he was alive. She was also instrumental in finding two distant cousins of Arthur. Joseph Laycock was educated in Glasgow and worked in construction until he retired. John Sadler BA (Hons), M.Phil., FRHistS FSA (Scotl) is a military historian whose books include Flodden 1513 and Scottish Battles. Rosie Serdville brings history to life through a combination of drama, interpretation, and education. She sits on the Council of the Society of Antiquaries of Newcastle upon Tyne.
- Author(s)John Sadler,Joseph Laycock,Morag Miller,Rose Serdiville
- PublisherThe History Press Ltd
- Date of Publication01/08/2014
- SubjectMilitary History
- Place of PublicationStroud
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintThe History Press Ltd
- Content Note15 black & white illustrations, 15 colour illustrations, 8 colour plates
- Weight204 g
- Width129 mm
- Height198 mm
- Spine10 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $39.90Trending at AU $51.50
- AU $32.78Trending at AU $40.84
- AU $30.36Trending at AU $39.99
- AU $31.98Trending at AU $45.25
- AU $13.01Trending at AU $16.66
- AU $33.35Trending at AU $36.06
- AU $15.79Trending at AU $25.15
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.