All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis collection of essays, by a number of established scholars and artists, proposes new directions for Marxist cultural theory and the criticism of modern visual culture. It addresses a diverse range of topics, including the state and revolution, Communist and post-Communist aesthetics, Situationist thought and the avant-garde, subjectivity and commodification, and the politics and problems of contemporary artistic practice. The contributions also consider several other pressing questions in the visual arts, from the practice of digital culture to appropriations of critical theory, from the relations of art and the spectacle to architecture in the age of global modernity. This book on Marxism and art is t offered in a spirit of stalgia: on the contrary, it testifies to the continuing vitality and confidence of historical materialist thought in the field of cultural theory and practice in the 21st century.
- Author BiographyThe Editors: Matthew Beaumont is Lecturer in English Literature at University College London. Andrew Hemingway is Professor of Art History at University College London. Esther Leslie is Professor of Political Aesthetics at Birkbeck College, University of London. John Roberts is Senior Research Fellow in Fine Art at the University of Wolverhampton.
- PublisherPeter Lang AG
- Date of Publication01/05/2007
- SubjectThe Arts: General & Reference
- Country of PublicationSwitzerland
- ImprintPeter Lang AG
- Content Noteillustrations
- Weight650 g
- Width220 mm
- Height150 mm
- Edited byAndrew Hemingway,Esther Leslie,John Roberts,Matthew Beaumont
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $79.65Trending at AU $96.35
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $74.37
- AU $35.43Trending at AU $40.71
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $79.35
- AU $18.96Trending at AU $24.44
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $49.03
- AU $16.98Trending at AU $18.30
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.