All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis bibliography is the most comprehensive available on the subject of African and Afro-American traditional religion and healing. By covering works from 1760 to the present, this bibliography offers t only the most up-to-date information on the subject, but also the most complete bibliographic survey of Afro-Caribbean and Afro-Latin religious traditions yet compiled. Consequently, researchers will be able to begin to develop an understanding of one of the most important cultural components of the rapidly growing Caribbean population in the United States. Nearly 6,000 entries on all aspects of the black religious heritage cite, in seven different languages, the broadest range of media possible, e.g. films, videos, books, dissertations, unpublished papers, and periodical and newspaper articles. Included are sections on art, music, dance, and theatre, as well as a selected list of works on related topics such as trance and spirit possession, comparative religion, and glossolalia. Created with the researcher in mind, Ashe is divided into such general categories as regional studies, ethnic group studies, and a number of more specialized subject categories. This reference work will also offer a key to those interested in understanding the tremendous growth of African-derived religious traditions in South America and their long-range sociopolitical ramifications. For students and scholars of Africa, the Caribbean, Latin America, and Afro-America, whether they be anthropologists, sociologists, health care workers, ethmusicologists, or historians, this bibliography offers a much needed resource guide to one of the most vital facets of black world culture.
- Author BiographyJOHN GRAY is a cultural historian specializing in Black culture. He is the author of Blacks in Classical Music (Greenwood Press, 1988) and has contributed articles to Cadence and Coda.
- Author(s)John Gray
- Date of Publication25/07/1989
- SubjectEncyclopedias & General Reference
- Series TitleBibliographies & Indexes in Afro-American & African Studies
- Series Part/Volume NumberNo. 24.
- Place of PublicationWestport
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintGreenwood Press
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight929 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine30 mm
- Format DetailsLaminated cover
Best-selling in Textbooks
- AU $203.69New
Marketing Management: an Asian Perspective by Swee Hoon Ang, Kevin Lane Keller, Siew-Meng Leong, Chin Tiong Tan, Philip Kotler (Paperback, 2013)
- AU $75.71New
- AU $61.33Used
- AU $93.50New
- AU $101.60New
- AU $70.98New
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $82.10
- AU $22.41Trending at AU $23.51
- AU $114.99Trending at AU $120.22
- AU $88.13Trending at AU $90.65
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $78.54
- AU $39.20Trending at AU $50.30
- AU $69.89Trending at AU $75.71
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.