All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionWith the vast majority of academic theory on tourism based on 'Western' tourists, Asia on Tour illustrates why the rapid growth of travel for leisure and recreation in Asia demands a reappraisal of how tourism is analyzed and understood. Examining domestic and intra-regional tourism, the book reveals how improvements in infrastructures, ever increasing disposable incomes, liberalized ecomies, the inter-connectivities of globalization and the lowering of borders, both physical and political, are w enabling millions of Asians to travel as tourists. Drawing upon multidisciplinary theoretical perspectives and up-to-date empirical research, the twenty-three accessible essays in this volume indicate why a rigorous and critical study of Asian tourism must become integral to both our analysis of this rapidly transforming region and our interpretation of global tourism in the twenty first century. As a rich collection of essays on heritage and tourism oriented around Asian tourists, Asia on Tour will be of particular interest to students and scholars working in the fields of tourism, Asian studies, geography, heritage, anthropology, development, sociology, and cultural and postcolonial studies.
- Author BiographyTim Winter researches heritage and tourism at the University of Sydney. He is author of Post-Conflict Heritage, Postcolonial Tourism and editor of Expressions of Cambodia. Peggy Teo is an independent scholar based in Singapore. Her research interests are in tourism and social gerontological issues. TC Chang is Associate Professor at the Department of Geography, National University of Singapore.
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication24/09/2008
- SubjectIndustrial Studies: General
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Content Note43 black & white illustrations, 12 black & white tables, 43 black & white halftones
- Weight566 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine23 mm
- Edited byPeggy Teo,T. C. Chang,Tim Winter
- Format DetailsB-format paperback
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $57.99Trending at AU $62.11
- AU $34.66Trending at AU $36.61
- AU $73.12Trending at AU $74.82
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $35.93
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $23.76
- AU $37.59Trending at AU $40.09
- AU $34.02Trending at AU $36.09
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.