All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $24.68Trending at AU $42.56
- AU $78.00Trending at AU $87.92
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $73.76
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $73.54
- AU $82.89Trending at AU $85.42
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.41
- AU $34.72Trending at AU $42.64
About this product
- DescriptionAsia as we kw it today is the product of a wide range of polity expansions over time. Recognising the territorial expansions of Asian polities large and small through the last several millennia helps rectify the fallacy, long-held and deeply entrenched, that Asian polities have been interested only in the control of populations, t in expanding their command of territory. In countering this misapprehension, this book suggests that Asian polities have indeed been concerned with territorial control and expansion over time, whether for political or strategic advantage, trade purposes, defence needs, agricultural expansion or increased income through taxation. The book explores the historical experiences of a set of polity expansions within Asia, specifically in East and Southeast Asia, and, by examining the motivations, mechanisms, processes, validations and limitations of these Asian territorial expansions, reveals the diverse avenues by which Asian polities have grown. The chapters draw on these historical examples to highlight the connections between Asian polity expansion and centralised political structures, and this aids in a broader and more comprehensive understanding of Asian political practice, both past and present. Through these chapter studies and the integrative introduction, the book interrogates key concepts such as imperialism and colonialism, and the applicability and relevance of such termilogy in Asian contexts, both historical and contemporary. Comparisons and contrasts with European historical expansions are also suggested. This book will be welcomed by students and scholars of Asian history, as well as by those with an interest in Asian interactions, international relations, polity expansion, Asia--Europe historical comparisons and globalisation.
- Author BiographyGeoff Wade is a Visiting Fellow at the Crawford School of Public Policy, College of Asia and the Pacific, Australian National University.
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication28/02/2010
- SubjectHistory: Textbooks & Study Guides
- Series TitleRoutledge Studies in the Early History of Asia
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Content Note13 black & white illustrations, 2 black & white tables, 2 black & white halftones, 11 black & white line drawings
- Weight521 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine18 mm
- Edited byGeoff Wade
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.