All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionSince 1980, higher education access and endorsement have grown more dramatically in Asia than in any other area of the world. Both developed and developing nations are witnessing rapid expansion in the higher education sector. Nor is this progress entirely quantitative: a number of Asian universities are on a par with the finest institutions of higher education in the U.S. and Europe. Until w, however, there has been little historical analysis and virtually comparative analysis of Asian higher education. This volume offers a detailed comparative study of the emergence of the modern university in Asia, linking the historical development of universities in the region with contemporary realities and future challenges. The contributors describe higher education systems in eleven countries-Korea, China, Vietnam, Cambodia, Malaysia, Phillippines, Singapore, Indonesia, Thailand, India, and Japan-and explore similarities and differences through two comparative essays. Each case study includes a discussion of the nature and influence of both indigeus and European educational traditions; a detailed analysis of development patterns; and a close examination of such contemporary issues as population growth and access, cost, the role of private higher education, the research system, automy, and accountability.
- Author BiographyPhilip G. Altbach is the Monan Professor of Higher Education and director of the Center for International Higher Education at Boston College. He is the coeditor of American Higher Education in the Twenty-first Century and In Defense of American Higher Education, both available from Johns Hopkins. Toru Umakoshi is a professor of higher education in the Graduate School at Obirin University in Japan and president of the Japan Comparative Education Society.
- PublisherJohns Hopkins University Press
- Date of Publication04/01/2005
- SubjectAdult & Further Education
- Place of PublicationBaltimore, MD
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintJohns Hopkins University Press
- Content Note1, 1 black & white line drawings
- Weight522 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine22 mm
- Edited byPhilip G. Altbach,Toru Umakoshi
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
- Interest AgeFrom 13
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $85.90Trending at AU $90.74
- AU $95.88Trending at AU $100.17
- AU $64.63Trending at AU $68.59
- AU $104.88Trending at AU $106.99
- AU $99.90Trending at AU $101.25
- AU $95.00Trending at AU $98.79
- AU $104.88Trending at AU $109.05
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.