All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $27.54Trending at AU $43.90
- AU $80.99Trending at AU $87.85
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $77.47
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $73.18
- AU $78.98Trending at AU $85.35
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.34
- AU $34.78Trending at AU $42.60
About this product
- DescriptionThis study of intellectuals and their cosmopolitan life trajectories is based on anthropological and historical research in Vietnam and India, two great Asian societies with contrasting experiences of empire, decolonisation and the rise and fall of the twentieth-century socialist world system. Building on the author's long-standing research experience in India and on remarkable family narratives collected during fieldwork in rthern Vietnam, the book deals with epic events and complex social transformations from a perspective that emphasizes the personal and the familial. Its central theme is the extraordinary mobility of intelligentsia lives. The author explores the role of the intellectual in the ecomic, social and cultural transformation of the post-colonial world through in-depth ethgraphic fieldwork methods. In identifying parallels and contrasts between Hai's 'socialist moderns' and the family and career experiences of their Indian counterparts, the book makes a distinctive contribution to the study of colonial, socialist and post-socialist Asia.
- Author BiographySusan Bayly is Reader in Historical Anthropology in the Department of Social Anthropology, Cambridge University and a Fellow of Christ's College, Cambridge. Her previous publications include Caste, Society and Politics in India from the Eighteenth Century to the Modern Age (1999) and Saints, Goddesses and Kings: Muslims and Christians in South Indian Society 1700-1900 (1989).
- Author(s)Susan Bayly
- PublisherCambridge University Press
- Date of Publication18/10/2007
- SubjectRegional History
- Place of PublicationCambridge
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintCambridge University Press
- Content Note30 b/w illus. 3 maps
- Weight629 g
- Width152 mm
- Height228 mm
- Spine23 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.