All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe philosopher and physician Abu Ali al-Husayn ibn 'Abdallah ibn Sina (d. 1037 C.E.), kwn in the West by his Latinized name Avicenna, was one of the most influential thinkers of the Islamic and European Middle Ages. Yet for a great number of scholars today Avicenna's thought remains inaccessible. Because he wrote almost all his works in Arabic, Avicenna seems remote to historians of medieval European philosophy who are able to read only the Latin translations of those works. And because he expresses his subtle and complex ideas in the technical termilogy of Aristotelianism and Neoplatonism, Avicenna seems remote to Islamicists who have little or background in the history of ancient and late-antique philosophy. By addressing some of the most fundamental issues in Avicenna's psychology, epistemology, natural philosophy and metaphysics, the contributors to this book hope to make Avicenna's thought more accessible to Latinists and Islamicists alike. After a brief preface, there are sections on Avicenna's theories of intuition and abstraction, and on his ideas about bodies and matter. Also catalogued in this volume for the first time is a large hoard of photostats of Avicenna manuscripts recently uncovered at the American Research Center in Egypt.
- Author BiographyRobert Wisnovsky is Assistant Professor of Islamic. Intellectual History at Harvard University, where he teaches Islamic philosophy and theology and Classical Arabic. He is the author of the forthcoming Avicenna's Metaphysics in Context. The contributors include Dimitri Gutas, Yale University; Dag Hasse, University of Wurzburg; Abraham Stone, University of Chicago; and David Reisman, University of Illinois at Chicago.
- PublisherMarkus Wiener Publishing Inc
- Date of Publication30/11/2002
- Place of PublicationPrinceton
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintMarkus Wiener Publishing Inc
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight298 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine11 mm
- Edited byRobert Wisnovsky
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $79.89Trending at AU $90.22
- AU $24.97Trending at AU $34.99
- AU $31.46Trending at AU $40.54
- AU $22.32Trending at AU $36.99
- AU $39.51Trending at AU $40.18
- AU $40.72Trending at AU $41.34
- AU $36.57Trending at AU $37.25
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.