All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis new edition of Aspects of Roman History 31 BC- AD 117 provides an easily accessible guide to the history of the early Roman Empire. Taking the reader through the major political events of the crucial first 150 years of Roman imperial history, from the Empire's foundation under Augustus to the height of its power under Trajan, the book examines the emperors and key events that shaped Rome's institutions and political form. Blending social and ecomic history with political history, Richard Alston's revised edition leads students through important issues, introducing sources, exploring techniques by which those sources might be read, and encouraging students to develop their historical judgement. The book includes: * chapters on each of the emperors in this period, exploring the successes and failures of each reign, and how these shaped the empire, * sections on social and ecomic history, including the core issues of slavery, social mobility, ecomic development and change, gender relations, the rise of new religions, and cultural change in the Empire, * an expanded timeframe, providing more information on the foundation of the imperial system under Augustus and the issues relating to Augustan Rome, * a glossary and further reading section, broken down by chapter. This expanded and revised edition of Aspects of Roman History, covering an additional 45 years of history from Actium to the death of Augustus, provides an invaluable introduction to Roman Imperial history, surveying the way in which the Roman Empire changed the world and offering critical perspectives on how we might understand that transformation. It is an important resource for any student of this crucial and formative period in Roman history.
- Author BiographyRichard Alston is Lecturer in Roman History at Royal Holloway, University of London. He has also been a senior examiner in ancient history at A-Level. He is the author of Soldier and Society in Roman Egypt: A Social History (Routledge 1995).
- Author(s)Richard Alston
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication14/11/2013
- SubjectAncient History
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Content Note12 black & white tables
- Weight816 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine25 mm
- Edition Statement2nd Revised edition
Best Selling in Textbooks
Marketing Management: an Asian Perspective by Swee Hoon Ang, Kevin Lane Keller, Siew-Meng Leong, Chin Tiong Tan, Philip Kotler (Paperback, 2013)
- AU $71.84New
- AU $64.55Used
- AU $78.24New
- AU $104.93New
- AU $75.19Used
Save on Textbooks
- AU $38.97Trending at AU $68.87
- AU $75.90Trending at AU $79.74
- AU $21.17Trending at AU $22.96
- AU $89.88Trending at AU $93.97
- AU $19.59Trending at AU $32.40
- AU $22.08Trending at AU $22.86
- AU $79.99Trending at AU $101.08
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.