CURRENTLY SOLD OUT
More items related to this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $27.54Trending at AU $44.05
- AU $80.99Trending at AU $88.14
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $77.73
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $73.43
- AU $82.90Trending at AU $85.64
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.61
- AU $34.73Trending at AU $42.75
About this product
- DescriptionBeginning in the mid-fifties and emanating largely form MIT, an approach was developed to linguistic theory and to the study of the structure of particular languages that diverges in many respects from modern linguistics. Although this approach is connected to the traditional study of languages, it differs eugh in its specific conclusions about the structure and in its specific conclusions about the structure of language to warrant a name, generative grammar. Various deficiencies have been discovered in the first attempts to formulate a theory of transformational generative grammar and in the descriptive analysis of particular languages that motivated these formulations. At the same time, it has become apparent that these formulations can be extended and deepened.The major purpose of this book is to review these developments and to propose a reformulation of the theory of transformational generative grammar that takes them into account. The emphasis in this study is syntax; semantic and phological aspects of the language structure are discussed only insofar as they bear on syntactic theory.
- Author BiographyNoam Chomsky is Institute Professor and Professor of Linguistics (Emeritus) at MIT and the author of many influential books on linguistics.
- Author(s)Noam Chomsky
- PublisherMIT Press Ltd
- Date of Publication01/01/1965
- Place of PublicationCambridge, Mass.
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintMIT Press
- Out-of-print date03/03/2016
- Content Noteillustrations
- Weight295 g
- Width133 mm
- Height203 mm
- Spine17 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
- Edition StatementNew impression
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.