All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionAs medical techlogy advances and severely injured or ill people can be kept alive and functioning long beyond what was previously medically possible, the debate surrounding the ethics of end-of-life care and quality-of-life issues has grown more urgent. In this lucid and vigorous book, Craig Paterson discusses assisted suicide and euthanasia from a fully fledged but n-dogmatic secular natural law perspective. He rehabilitates and revitalises the natural law approach to moral reasoning by developing a pluralistic account of just why we are required by practical rationality to respect and t violate key demands generated by the primary goods of persons, especially human life. Important issues that shape the moral quality of an action are explained and analysed: intention/foresight; action/omission; action/consequences; killing/letting die; incence/n-incence; person/n-person. Paterson defends the central rmative proposition that 'it is always a serious moral wrong to intentionally kill an incent human person, whether self or ather, twithstanding any further appeal to consequences or motive'.
- Author BiographyCraig Paterson is a Fellow of the Royal Society of Arts (FRSA), a fellow of the Royal Society of Medicine and an independent scholar. Previously he was engaged in Information Science research at the University of California, Los Angeles, USA and was previously an Assistant Professor of Philosophy at Providence College, USA.
- Author(s)Craig Paterson
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication28/03/2008
- SubjectSocial Issues, Services & Welfare
- Series TitleLive Questions in Ethics and Moral Philosophy
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintAshgate Publishing Limited
- Weight442 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine15 mm
- Edited byProfessor Tom Sorell
- Series Edited byProfessor Norman E. Bowie
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $79.68Trending at AU $111.07
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $74.34
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $79.33
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $49.01
- AU $16.99Trending at AU $18.30
- AU $51.98Trending at AU $53.06
- AU $22.83Trending at AU $27.18
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.