All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $27.54Trending at AU $43.90
- AU $80.99Trending at AU $87.85
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $77.47
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $73.18
- AU $82.89Trending at AU $85.35
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.34
- AU $34.77Trending at AU $42.60
About this product
- DescriptionAssociations and Other Groups in Science: An Historical and Contemporary Perspective brings together a collection of texts on the subject of scientific associations and their role in science and society. It combines historical approaches, focused on the role that associations (and other groups) played in the development of particular scientific disciplines in the nineteenth and twentieth centuries, with contemporary analyses that highlight the involvement of associations in engagement with wider publics. A somewhat neglected subject in the social studies of science, scientific associations provide an opportunity for reflecting on and discussing wider issues in science, such as the place of scientific advice in policy-making, the structure of scientific careers, and the need for building bridges between the scientific community and society at large. Since all chapters examine the Portuguese scientific system, this book also contributes to acquaint international audiences with the history and the current situation of science in Portugal. Some of the research findings included here are valid across borders and may be used for comparative research. Though mainly aimed at the science and techlogy studies community, it has the potential to reach readers in other social sciences, as well as in the hard sciences, keen on the history of their disciplines.
- Author BiographyAna Delicado received her PhD in Sociology in 2006 and is currently a Research Fellow at the Institute of Social Sciences of the University of Lisbon. She works mainly in the area of the social studies of science. She has published four books and several articles in journals such as Public Understanding of Science, Science Studies, Science and Public Policy.
- PublisherCambridge Scholars Publishing
- Date of Publication21/10/2013
- SubjectScience: General & Reference
- Place of PublicationNewcastle upon Tyne
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintCambridge Scholars Publishing
- Weight454 g
- Width148 mm
- Height212 mm
- Spine23 mm
- Edited byAna Delicado
- Format DetailsWith dust jacket
- Edition Statement1st Unabridged
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.