All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionA multifaceted response to issues concerning personal privacy and government power by writers, artists, and others The filmmaker, artist, and journalist Laura Poitras has explored the themes of mass surveillance, war on terror, drone program, Guantanamo, and torture in her work for more than ten years. In 2013, Poitras was contacted by Edward Swden, a former National Security Agency subcontractor who leaked classified information about government-sponsored surveillance. Her resulting documentary, Citizenfour, which won an Academy Award for best documentary feature in 2015, is the third film in her post-9/11 film trilogy. For this volume, Poitras has invited authors ranging from artists and velists to techlogists and academics to respond to the modern-day state of mass surveillance. Among them are the acclaimed author Dave Eggers, the Chinese artist Ai Weiwei, the former Guantanamo Bay detainee Lakhdar Boumediene, the writer and researcher Kate Crawford, and Edward Swden, to name but a few. Some contributors worked directly with Poitras and the archive of documents leaked by Swden; others contributed fictional reinterpretations of spycraft. The result is a how-to guide for living in a society that collects extraordinary amounts of information on individuals. Questioning the role of surveillance and advocating for collective privacy are central tennets for Poitras, who has long engaged with and supported free-software techlogists.
- Author BiographyLaura Poitras is a filmmaker, artist, and journalist. Jay Sanders is curator and curator of performance at the Whitney Museum of American Art.
- PublisherYale University Press
- Date of Publication06/05/2016
- SubjectCurrent Affairs & Issues
- Place of PublicationNew Haven
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintYale University Press
- Content Note87 color +16 b/w illus.
- Weight726 g
- Width152 mm
- Height235 mm
- Spine23 mm
- Edited byLaura Poitras
- Introduction byJay Sanders
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $72.55Trending at AU $75.17
- AU $32.60Trending at AU $36.61
- AU $23.06Trending at AU $25.61
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $23.78
- AU $13.99Trending at AU $16.54
- AU $26.68Trending at AU $29.53
- AU $19.92Trending at AU $27.62
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.