All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionFor millennia humans around the world have observed and interacted with the sky, watching and marking the seasonal movements of the sun, moon, planets, and stars. Several historic and contemporary Native American groups in the Southwest employ astromical observations to guide their ceremonial and subsistence calendars, and over the past several decades it has become clear that such practices extend well into the past. This volume contains selected papers from the 2011 Conference on Archaeoastromy in the American Southwest, held at the University of New Mexico. These papers have as their focus cultural astromy - the archeological investigation of past astromical practices as well as the study of oral history and tradition of recent and continuing astromical practices - within the region. The volume contains chapters that discuss the history of cultural astromy in the Southwest; prehistoric cultural astromical systems expressed by relationships between architecture, landscape features, artifacts, and imagery in the rthern Southwest; and methodology for examining possible contemporary and prehistoric astromical features.
- PublisherUniversity of New Mexico,Maxwell Museum of Anthropology,U.S.
- Date of Publication30/06/2014
- Series TitleMaxwell Museum of Anthropology Anthropological Papers
- Series Part/Volume Number9
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity of New Mexico,Maxwell Museum of Anthropology,U.S.
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations, black & white tables, figures
- Weight476 g
- Width216 mm
- Height279 mm
- Spine13 mm
- Edited byGregory E. Munson,Todd W. Bostwick,Tony Hull
Best Selling in Non-Fiction Books
The 8-Week Blood Sugar Diet: Lose Weight Fast and Reprogramme Your Body for Life by Michael Mosley (Paperback, 2015)
- AU $19.13New
- AU $7.82Used
- AU $21.30New
Women Who Run with Wolves: Myths and Stories of the Wild Woman Archetype by Clarissa Pinkola Estes (Paperback, 1996)
- AU $14.09New
- AU $6.50Used
Allen Carr's Easy Way to Stop Smoking: Be a Happy Non-smoker for the Rest of Your Life by Allen Carr (Paperback, 2013)
- AU $24.92New
- AU $11.61Used
- AU $20.04New
- AU $32.17New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $17.86Trending at AU $30.05
- AU $39.99Trending at AU $43.83
- AU $40.94Trending at AU $50.54
- AU $19.74Trending at AU $30.05
- AU $58.25Trending at AU $62.59
- AU $62.84Trending at AU $78.53
- AU $35.08Trending at AU $38.54
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.