All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionWhile astromy is a burgeoning science, with tremendous increases in kwledge every year, it also has a tremendous past, one that has altered humanity's understanding of our place in the universe. The impact of astromy on culture - whether through myths and stories, or through challenges to the intellectual status quo - is incalculable. This volume in the Greenwood Guides to the Universe series examines how human cultures, in all regions and time periods, have tried to make sense of the wonders of the universe. Astromy and Culture shows students how people throughout time have struggled with the complexities apparent in the night sky, complexities that modern science has only just begun to understand.
- Author BiographyEDITH W. HETHERINGTON has a PhD degree in Curriculum and Instruction, and has taught English and English as a second language at several schools, including Razi University in Iran. More recently, she was admitted to the California Bar, and now is the Export Compliance Officer for Chevron Information Technology Company. She has traveled widely in North America, Europe, and the Middle East, and has a first hand acquaintanceship with many of the places mentioned in this book as well as their art and literature. NORRISS S. HETHERINGTON is the director of the Institute for the History of Astronomy and a Visiting Scholar with the Office for the History of Science and Technology at the University of California, Berkeley. He is the author of several books, including Planetary Motions: A Historical Perspective (Greenwood Guides to Great Ideas in Science, 2006). He was a National Endowment for the Humanities Fellow in Studies in Interrelationships between Human Values and Science and Technology.
- Author(s)Edith W. Hetherington,Norriss S. Hetherington
- Date of Publication01/03/2009
- SubjectScience & Mathematics: Textbooks & Study Guides
- Series TitleGreenwood Guides to the Universe
- Place of PublicationWestport
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintGreenwood Press
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations, black & white tables, figures
- Weight680 g
- Width178 mm
- Height254 mm
- Spine20 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $79.65Trending at AU $96.35
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $74.37
- AU $35.06Trending at AU $40.71
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $79.35
- AU $18.96Trending at AU $24.44
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $49.03
- AU $16.98Trending at AU $18.30
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.