All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis book focuses on the asymptotic behaviour of the probabilities of large deviations of the trajectories of random walks with 'heavy-tailed' (in particular, regularly varying, sub- and semiexponential) jump distributions. Large deviation probabilities are of great interest in numerous applied areas, typical examples being ruin probabilities in risk theory, error probabilities in mathematical statistics, and buffer-overflow probabilities in queueing theory. The classical large deviation theory, developed for distributions decaying exponentially fast (or even faster) at infinity, mostly uses analytical methods. If the fast decay condition fails, which is the case in many important applied problems, then direct probabilistic methods usually prove to be efficient. This mograph presents a unified and systematic exposition of the large deviation theory for heavy-tailed random walks. Most of the results presented in the book are appearing in a mograph for the first time. Many of them were obtained by the authors.
- Author BiographyAlexander Borovkov works at the Sobolev Institute of Mathematics in Novosibirsk. Konstantin Borovkov is a staff member in the Department of Mathematics and Statistics at the University of Melbourne.
- Author(s)A. A. Borovkov,K. A. Borovkov
- PublisherCambridge University Press
- Date of Publication12/06/2008
- Series TitleEncyclopedia of Mathematics and Its Applications
- Series Part/Volume NumberNo. 118
- Place of PublicationCambridge
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintCambridge University Press
- Content Note5 b/w illus.
- Weight1180 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine40 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $79.67Trending at AU $96.35
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $74.37
- AU $35.43Trending at AU $40.71
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $79.35
- AU $19.16Trending at AU $24.44
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $49.03
- AU $16.98Trending at AU $18.30
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.