Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $20.91Free postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by blackwelloxford
- See details for delivery est.
- AU $22.95+ AU $7.99 postage
- Good condition
- Sold by ausreseller
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionNEW YORK TIMES BESTSELLER In this thrilling new vel from the author of Water for Elephants, Sara Gruen again demonstrates her talent for creating spellbinding period pieces. At the Water s Edge is a gripping and poignant love story about a privileged young woman s awakening as she experiences the devastation of World War II in a tiny village in the Scottish Highlands. After disgracing themselves at a high society New Year s Eve party in Philadelphia in 1944, Madeline Hyde and her husband, Ellis, are cut off financially by his father, a former army colonel who is already ashamed of his son s inability to serve in the war. When Ellis and his best friend, Hank, decide that the only way to regain the Colonel s favor is to succeed where the Colonel very publicly failed by hunting down the famous Loch Ness monster Maddie reluctantly follows them across the Atlantic, leaving her sheltered world behind. The trio find themselves in a remote village in the Scottish Highlands, where the locals have thing but contempt for the privileged interlopers. Maddie is left on her own at the isolated inn, where food is rationed, fuel is scarce, and a kck from the postman can bring tragic news. Yet she finds herself falling in love with the stark beauty and subtle magic of the Scottish countryside. Gradually she comes to kw the villagers, and the friendships she forms with two young women open her up to a larger world than she knew existed. Maddie begins to see that thing is as it first appears: the values she holds dear prove unsustainable, and monsters lurk where they are least expected. As she embraces a fuller sense of who she might be, Maddie becomes aware t only of the dark forces around her, but of life s beauty and surprising possibilities. Praise for At the Water s Edge Breathtaking . . . a daring story of adventure, friendship, and love in the shadow of WWII. Harper s Bazaar A gripping, compelling story . . . Gruen s characters are vividly drawn and her scenes are perfectly paced. The Boston Globe A page-turner of a vel that rollicks along with crisp historical detail. Fort Worth Star-Telegram Powerfully evocative. USA Today Gruen is a master at the period piece and [this] vel is just ather stunning example of that craft. Glamour A captivating tale. Us Weekly Compulsively readable . . . a rich, beautiful vel . . . at once a gripping love story, a profound examination of the effects of war on ordinary women, and a compelling portrait of female friendship. Kristin Hannah Utterly winning. The Miami Herald A compelling, enthralling read, a vel which captivates and rewards, paying off in a series of emotional and narrative twists . . . comfort reading of the highest order. The Globe and Mail A super steamy love story. Good Housekeeping Unique in its setting and scope, this impeccably researched historical fiction is full of the gorgeous prose I ve come to expect from this author. Jodi Picoult [Gruen] conveys the lure of the Scottish Highlands. . . . At the Water s Edge captivates with its drama, intrigue and glimpses of both the dark and light of humanity. BookPage From the Hardcover edition.
- Author BiographySara Gruenis the #1 New York Times and USA Today bestselling author of At the Water's Edge, Water for Elephants, Ape House, Riding Lessons, and Flying Changes. Her works have been translated into forty-three languages and have sold more than ten million copies worldwide. Water for Elephants was adapted into a major motion picture starring Reese Witherspoon, Rob Pattinson, and Christoph Waltz in 2011. She lives in western North Carolina with her husband and three sons, along with their dogs, cats, horses, birds, and the world s fussiest goat. From the Hardcover edition.
- Author(s)Sara Gruen
- PublisherSpiegel & Grau
- Date of Publication10/11/2015
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectHistorical & Mythological Fiction
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintSpiegel & Grau
- Weight299 g
- Width130 mm
- Height201 mm
- Spine25 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
Best-selling in Fiction Books
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $47.99Trending at AU $53.62
- AU $69.95Trending at AU $77.81
- AU $47.99Trending at AU $59.41
- AU $21.81Trending at AU $24.79
- AU $15.99Trending at AU $21.19
- AU $19.98Trending at AU $20.66
- AU $39.99Trending at AU $40.55
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.