All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionCartographic maps have guided our explorations for centuries, allowing us to navigate the world. Science maps have the potential to guide our search for kwledge in the same way, allowing us to visualize scientific results. Science maps help us navigate, understand, and communicate the dynamic and changing structure of science and techlogy -- help us make sense of the avalanche of data generated by scientific research today. Atlas of Science, featuring more than thirty full-page science maps, fifty data charts, a timeline of science-mapping milestones, and 500 color images, serves as a sumptuous visual index to the evolution of modern science and as an introduction to the science of science -- charting the trajectory from scientific concept to published results. Atlas of Science, based on the popular exhibit, Places & Spaces: Mapping Science , describes and displays successful mapping techniques. The heart of the book is a visual feast: Claudius Ptolemy's Cosmographia World Map from 1482; a guide to a PhD thesis that resembles a subway map; the structure of science as revealed in a map of citation relationships in papers published in 2002; a visual periodic table; a history flow visualization of the Wikipedia article on abortion; a globe showing the worldwide distribution of patents; a forecast of earthquake risk; hands-on science maps for kids; and many more. Each entry includes the story behind the map and biographies of its makers. Not even the most brilliant minds can keep up with today's deluge of scientific results. Science maps show us the landscape of what we kw.
- Author BiographyKaty Borner is Victor H. Yngve Professor of Information Science in the School of Library and Information Science at Indiana University. She is curator of the Places & Spaces: Mapping Science exhibit that inspired Atlas of Science.
- Author(s)Katy Borner
- PublisherMIT Press Ltd
- Date of Publication02/11/2010
- SubjectScience: General & Reference
- Place of PublicationCambridge, Mass.
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintMIT Press
- Content Note600 color illus.
- Weight2451 g
- Width330 mm
- Height280 mm
- Spine24 mm
- Interest AgeFrom 18
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $27.54Trending at AU $44.05
- AU $80.99Trending at AU $88.14
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $77.73
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $73.43
- AU $82.90Trending at AU $85.64
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.61
- AU $34.73Trending at AU $42.75
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.