All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionMANNED SPACE FLIGHT introduces into space travel parameters that are unique. Man can live without food for a reasonably long period; without water, the period becomes quite a bit shorter; but without air, the result-almost instantaneous-is death. This would make the atmosphere the most important consideration. In fact, however, man needs all three components: oxygen, water, and food; and if anyone of them failS, he is doomed. With our space efforts approaching trips of several weeks in length and certainly heading for month-long journeys, it is most appropriate to ask: Are we ready to provide an adequate atmo- spheric milieu for the astronauts? The present volume represents the first integrated attempt to answer this question on a scientific level and on a broad basis of physical and mechanical, biological, biochemical and medical factors. The main features of this work were presented at a symposium of the Division of Industrial and Engineering Chemistry of the American Chemical Society, held in Atlantic City on Septem- ber 13, 1965. The volume is an expanded and reorganized treatise based on, but t merely proceeding from, the symposium. Obviously, medical aspects are of paramount importance. A down-to-earth appraisal of the status quo, presented by Dr. E. M. Roth, shows that the problem of 100% oxygen atmosphere still is beset with some uncertainty in the 200 to 500 mm. total cabin pressure range. Additionally, attention is called to inherent dangers of greatly increased flammability in such an atmosphere.
- PublisherSpringer-Verlag New York Inc.
- Date of Publication01/01/1966
- SubjectTransport Technology
- Place of PublicationNew York, NY
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintSpringer-Verlag New York Inc.
- Content Notebiography
- Weight438 g
- Width155 mm
- Height235 mm
- Spine15 mm
- Edited byKarl Kammermeyer
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
- Edition StatementSoftcover reprint of the original 1st ed. 1966
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
- AU $33.32New
- AU $30.40New
- AU $20.46New
- AU $30.87New
- AU $21.77New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $40.94Trending at AU $51.64
- AU $60.91Trending at AU $63.18
- AU $49.18Trending at AU $52.81
- AU $20.89Trending at AU $24.28
- AU $28.30Trending at AU $30.29
- AU $44.93Trending at AU $46.37
- AU $18.77Trending at AU $24.64
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.