All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis book collects the lectures given at the NATO Advanced Study Institute on Atoms in Strong Fields , which took place on the island of Kos, Greece, during the two weeks of October 9-21,1988. The designation strong field applies here to an external electromagnetic field that is sufficiently strong to cause highly nlinear alterations in atomic or molecular struc- ture and dynamics. The specific topics treated in this volume fall into two general cater- gories, which are those for which strong field effects can be studied in detail in terrestrial laboratories: the dynamics of excited states in static or quasi-static electric and magnetic fields; and the interaction of atoms and molecules with intense laser radiation. In both areas there exist promising opportunities for research of a fundamental nature. An electric field of even a few volts per centimeter can be very strong on the atom- ic scale, if it acts upon a weakly bound state. The study of Rydberg states with high reso- lution laser spectroscopic techniques has made it possible to follow the transition from weak-field to strong-field behavior in remarkable detail, using static fields of modest lab- oratory strength; in the course of this transition the atomic system evolves from one which can be thoroughly understood in terms of field-free quantum numbers, to one which cant be meaningfully associated at all with the zero-field states of the atom.
- PublisherSpringer-Verlag New York Inc.
- Date of Publication05/05/2013
- Series TitleNATO Science Series B
- Series Part/Volume Number212
- Place of PublicationNew York, NY
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintSpringer-Verlag New York Inc.
- Content Notebiography
- Weight1442 g
- Width210 mm
- Height297 mm
- Spine29 mm
- Edited byC. W. Clark,Cleanthes A. Nicolaides,Munir H. Nayfeh
- Edition StatementSoftcover reprint of the original 1st ed. 1990
Best-selling in Textbooks
- AU $203.69New
Marketing Management: an Asian Perspective by Swee Hoon Ang, Kevin Lane Keller, Siew-Meng Leong, Chin Tiong Tan, Philip Kotler (Paperback, 2013)
- AU $74.22New
- AU $61.33Used
- AU $93.50New
- AU $101.60New
- AU $70.98New
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $82.10
- AU $22.43Trending at AU $23.89
- AU $114.99Trending at AU $119.81
- AU $88.13Trending at AU $90.65
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $78.54
- AU $39.20Trending at AU $50.30
- AU $69.89Trending at AU $74.22
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.