Attrition: Aspects of Command in the Peloponnesian War by Godfrey Hutchinson (Hardback, 2005)
Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $25.57Free postage
- Good condition
- Sold by book_fountain
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionEssentially a struggle between a land and sea power, the Peloponnesian war descended into a grim struggle in which moral standards declined and atrocities were perpetrated on civilian populations. Comparisons can be made between the siege operations of the Spartan and Athenian protagonists and in the developing naval tactics employed where a mixture of attitudes emerged among commanders - some put hour above all else while others pursued personal ambition. In 431 BC, the threat of war between Sparta and her allies and the Athenian Empire became a reality. For many years Athens enjoyed supremacy at sea while avoiding any land engagements with Spartan led land forces. The setback for the Spartans at Sphakteria at the hands of Demosthenes and Kleon inevitably led to the so-called 'Peace of Nikias' despite the major successes in the rth of the brilliant Spartan commander Brasidas. Alkibiades persuaded the Athenians to attack Sicily but they were met with an unexpectedly aggressive defence led by the Spartan Gylippos. Monies from the old enemy, Persia, gave Sparta the opportunity to retain highly trained crews which gave Lysander the final victory.
- Author BiographyGodfrey Hutchinson was educated at the Universities of Durham and Newcastle upon Tyne. He has engaged in several research projects within the Classical period. He lives in Darlington.
- Author(s)Godfrey Hutchinson
- PublisherThe History Press Ltd
- Date of Publication01/08/2005
- SubjectAncient History
- Place of PublicationStroud
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintSpellmount Publishers Ltd
- Content Note16 black & white photos, bibliography, index
- Weight640 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine10 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Cravings: Recipes for All the Food You Want to Eat by Adeena Sussman, Chrissy Teigen (Hardback, 2016)
- AU $43.38New
- AU $30.64New
- AU $22.99New
- AU $30.81New
- AU $20.06New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $11.99Trending at AU $13.93
- AU $39.17Trending at AU $50.72
- AU $39.11Trending at AU $43.38
- AU $60.83Trending at AU $63.06
- AU $49.18Trending at AU $52.71
- AU $15.95Trending at AU $22.99
- AU $25.80Trending at AU $30.81
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.