Aubrey Beardsley: A Catalogue Raisonne by Linda Gertner Zatlin (Multiple copy pack, 2016)
Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $274.63Free postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by the_nile
- Est. delivery by 6 Feb
Nearly newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $260.00Free postage
- Like new condition
- Sold by logicalunsanity
- Est. delivery by 26 Jan
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionA comprehensive presentation of the provocative, modernist graphic works of Britain's creator of Art Nouveau This is the first book to bring together the recorded works of the English artist Aubrey Beardsley. Despite his early death from tuberculosis in 1898, at the age of 25, these amount to nearly 1100 completed works of art (plus many related sketches) as well as more than 100 sketches in his letters and the books he owned, and this book includes over 50 that have never previously been published. In his brief career Beardsley made a defining contribution to Art Nouveau in Britain and abroad. He also influenced the early history of modern art, attracting the attention of the young Picasso, for example. His distinctive and invatory graphic style, combined with highly provocative, often sexual subject matter, outraged critics and led to a period of intense toriety. Beardsley's drawings span the grotesque, the delicately beautiful, the subtly erotic, and the frankly bawdy, and challenged the moral rms of Victorian society. They enthralled artists and art lovers the world over and continue to enthral today. Linda Gertner Zatlin's text presents Beardsley's drawings with a full record of their making, provenance, exhibition history and references in the art historical literature. This material record is accompanied by often extensive discussions of their themes, motifs and symbolism, as well as their critical reception. Unprecedented in its scope and thoroughness, this study presents Beardsley's work and explores its meanings more comprehensively than any previous work on him; it is likely to remain definitive. This superbly illustrated two volume catalogue, beautifully presented as a boxed set, is both an essential reference for specialists and an accessible and enchanting delight for Beardsley enthusiasts.
- Author BiographyLinda Gertner Zatlin is professor of English at Morehouse College, Atlanta.
- Author(s)Linda Gertner Zatlin
- PublisherYale University Press
- Date of Publication05/04/2016
- FormatMultiple copy pack
- SubjectIndividual Artists / Art Monographs
- Series TitleThe Paul Mellon Centre for Studies in British Art
- Place of PublicationNew Haven
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintYale University Press
- Content Note75 color + 1,145 b/w illus.
- Weight6628 g
- Width248 mm
- Height292 mm
- Spine94 mm
- Contained items statementContains Book
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $99.00Trending at AU $101.13
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $79.66
- AU $104.88Trending at AU $108.26
- AU $67.99Trending at AU $71.39
- AU $61.99Trending at AU $63.74
- AU $95.88Trending at AU $99.57
- AU $89.90Trending at AU $112.26
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.