All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionA 2015 National Jewish Book Award finalist The inspiring story of Clara Lemlich, whose fight for equal rights led to the largest strike by women in American history A gorgeously told vel in verse written with intimacy and power, Audacityis inspired by the real-life story of Clara Lemlich, a spirited young woman who emigrated from Russia to New York at the turn of the twentieth centuryand foughttenaciously for equal rights. Bucking the rms of both her traditional Jewish family and societal conventions, Clararefuses to accept substandard working conditions in the factories on Manhattan's Lower East Side. For years, Clara devotes herself to the labor fight, speaking up for those who suffer in silence. In time, Clara convinces the women in the factories to strike, organize, and unionize, culminating in the famous Uprising of the 20,000.Powerful, breathtaking, and inspiring, Audacityis the story of a remarkable young woman, whose passion and selfless devotion to her cause changed the world. Praise for AUDACITY: A 2015 National Jewish Book Award finalistA Washington Post Best Children s Books for April: Poetry EditionAn ILA Notable Book for a Global SocietyA 2016 NCTE Children's Notable Verse NovelA New York Public Library Best Book for TeensAn ALA Top 10 Best Fiction for Young Adults PickAn ALSC Notable Children's Book mineeA BCCB Blue Ribbon winner * Crowder breathes life into a world long past....Compelling, powerful and unforgettable. --Kirkus Reviews, starred review * This book stands alone....an impactful addition to any historical fiction collection. --School Library Journal, starred review * With a thorough historical te, glossary of terms, and bibliography, this will make an excellent complement to units on women s rights and the labor movement, but it will also satisfy readers in search of a well-told tale of a fierce heroine. --BCCB, starred review * This is an excellent title that can open discussions in U.S. history and ecomics courses about women s rights, labor unions, and the immigrant experience. --School Library Connection, starred review Based on the true story of Clara Lemlich, Audacitythrobs with the emotions of this exceptional young woman who fought for equal rights and improved labor standards in factories. Melanie Crowder s verses spit out Clara s rage, cradle her longing and soar like the birds that are her constant companions. --Bookpage Crowder s (Parched) use of free verse in this fictionalization of Russian-Jewish immigrant Clara Lemlich s life brings a spare poignancy to a familiar history. --Publishers Weekly Brilliant, riveting, informative. Cynthia Levinson, critically acclaimed author of We've Got a JobAudacityis an evocative reimagining of a fascinating historical figure who should be remembered for her determination in the face of great odds and powerful opposition and for her role in changing America. Melanie Crowder s powerful verse reveals a long-past world, but the combination of hope and outrage that Clara Lemlich brought to her struggle should be both recognizable and inspirational to teen readers longing to right the injustices of our day. Margaret Peterson Haddix, critically acclaimed, bestselling author ofUprising
- Author BiographyMelanie Crowder (www.melaniecrowder.net) lives on the Colorado Front Range where she is a writer and educator. She teaches English to non-native-English-speaking students at her local school and holds an MFA in Writing from Vermont College of Fine Arts. Follow Melanie on Twitter at @MelanieACrowder.
- Author(s)Melanie Crowder
- PublisherPenguin Putnam Inc
- Date of Publication15/01/2017
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- First Published2017
- ImprintPhilomel Books,U.S.
- Content Noteillustrations
- Weight499 g
- Width145 mm
- Height221 mm
- Spine33 mm
- Format DetailsSewn,Cloth over boards
Best-selling in Other Children & Young Adults
Save on Other Children & Young Adults
- AU $247.00Trending at AU $288.91
- AU $26.50Trending at AU $32.69
- AU $29.99Trending at AU $49.76
- AU $11.95Trending at AU $15.69
- AU $49.62Trending at AU $52.62
- AU $31.61Trending at AU $38.73
- AU $27.37Trending at AU $30.59
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.