All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionAudio Book deals with the ways in which the auditory-voices, sounds, ises-is represented in postphograph narrative fiction. More specifically, it examines how the various techlogies enabling the transmission or storing of sound and voice are figured in selected prose works. Drawing from contemporary American, British, French, and German literature, the author discusses these use of these techlogies in Nicholson Baker's Vox, Michel Tournier's Tristan Vox, Heinrich Boll's Murke's Collected Silences, Don DeLillo's The Body Artist, Nick Hornby's High Fidelity, and Sylvia Brownrigg's The Metaphysical Touch. The texts foreground sound techlogies (the telephone, radio, tape recorder, answering machine, record player, or, counterintuitively, e-mail) in their narration and manifest important aspects of audio in literature. In prior criticism, these texts have t been systematically read from media-techlogical perspectives. The sound techlogies represented in the texts problematize the clear distinction between speech and writing, or between natural articulation and its techlogical reproduction. Audio Book suggests that literary writing is metaphorically conceivable as a transmitting and storing techlogy, as an audiobook of sorts, capable of recording (upon writing) and reproducing (upon reading) auditory information. The sound techlogies proper have also bearing on the narrative structure, metaphorics, and style of each fictional work studied in Audio Book. In addition, themes such as identity, genre, the nature of literary representation, and the absence/presence problem are brought to the fore on account of the techlogies depicted.
- Author BiographyMikko Keskinen is adjunct professor at the University of Jyvaskyla, the University of Helsinki, and the University of Tampere.
- Author(s)Mikko Keskinen
- PublisherLexington Books
- Date of Publication11/04/2008
- SubjectLiterary Criticism
- Place of PublicationLanham, MD
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintLexington Books
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight381 g
- Width169 mm
- Height238 mm
- Spine19 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $80.50Trending at AU $111.62
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $74.36
- AU $35.81Trending at AU $40.71
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $79.34
- AU $18.96Trending at AU $23.93
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $49.02
- AU $17.16Trending at AU $18.30
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.