All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionWritten by Andrew Wallace-Hadrill, one of the world's foremost scholars on Roman social and cultural history, this well-established introduction to Rome in the Age of Augustus provides a fascinating insight into the social and physical contexts of Augustan politics and poetry, exploring in detail the impact of the new regime of government on society. Taking an interpretative approach, the ideas and environment manipulated by Augustus are explored, along with reactions to that manipulation. Emphasising the role and impact of art and architecture of the time, and on Roman attitudes and values, Augustan Rome explains how the victory of Octavian at Actium transformed Rome and Roman life.This thought-provoking yet concise volume sets political changes in the context of their impact on Roman values, on the imaginative world of poetry, on the visual world of art, and on the fabric of the city of Rome.
- Author BiographyAndrew Wallace-Hadrill is Master of Sidney Sussex College, and Professor of Roman Studies, University of Cambridge, UK. Previously Director of the British School at Rome, he has held visiting fellowships at Princeton University and the Getty Museum, and is a frequent contributor on radio and television. He has been awarded an OBE for services to Anglo-Italian cultural relations, elected a Fellow of the British Academy. His publications include Rome's Cultural Revolution (2008); Herculaneum: Past and Future (2011); Domestic Space in the Roman World: Pompeii and Beyond (1997) and Houses and Society in Pompeii and Herculaneum (1995).
- Author(s)Andrew Wallace-Hadrill
- PublisherBloomsbury Publishing PLC
- Date of Publication01/01/1998
- SubjectHistory: Textbooks & Study Guides
- Series TitleClassical World Series
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintBristol Classical Press
- Content Note1, black & white illustrations
- Weight160 g
- Width140 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine7 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $32.01Trending at AU $36.67
- AU $13.42Trending at AU $19.99
- AU $30.43Trending at AU $31.22
- AU $27.74Trending at AU $29.88
- AU $24.19Trending at AU $30.05
- AU $14.82Trending at AU $17.85
- AU $13.01Trending at AU $17.43
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.