All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionTogas, Turbans, Tailcoats And Top Hats. The evolution of style from antiquity to 1888. Originally published in France between 1876 and 1888, Auguste Racinet's Le Costume historique was the most wide-ranging and incisive study of clothing ever attempted. Covering the world history of costume, dress, and style from antiquity through the end of the 19th century, the great work - published in six volumes containing nearly 500 plates - remains, to this day, completely unique in its scope and detail. Racinet's organization by culture and subject has been preserved in TASCHEN's magnificent and complete reprint, as have excerpts from his delightful descriptions and often witty comments. Volume I contains all plates from Racinet's work, reproduced in brilliant quality and showing the original's love for detail and color. Volume 2 collects the texts accompanying the images, giving descriptions and explanations, as well as the introduction by Francoise Tetart-Vittu. Perusing these beautifully detailed and exquisitely colored illustrations, you'll discover everything from the garb of ancient Etruscans to traditional Eskimo attire to 19th century French women's couture. Though Racinet's study spans the globe from ancient times through his own, his focus is on European clothing from the Middle Ages to the 1880s and this subject is treated with exceeding passion and attention to detail.
- Author BiographyFrancoise Tetart-Vittu is head of the graphic arts department at the Musee de la Mode et du Costume de la Ville de Paris. She studied art history at the Sorbonne and she specializes in the costume history of the 18th and 19th centuries. The author of many books on costume history and curator of exhibits, she lives and works in Paris.
- Author(s)Francoise Tetart-Vittu
- PublisherTaschen GmbH
- Date of Publication01/03/2012
- SubjectDesign & Commercial Art
- Place of PublicationCologne
- Country of PublicationGermany
- ImprintTaschen GmbH
- Content NoteIllustrations (chiefly col.)
- Weight4318 g
- Width316 mm
- Height240 mm
- Spine77 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $50.71Trending at AU $61.55
- AU $32.59Trending at AU $36.88
- AU $32.77Trending at AU $40.84
- AU $30.36Trending at AU $40.12
- AU $30.37Trending at AU $31.39
- AU $15.79Trending at AU $25.15
- AU $14.47Trending at AU $16.66
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.