All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionBased on the acclaimed French volume Saint Augustin et la Bible, this translation with additional selections hors the beautifully wrought monument to the scholarly research of Anne-Marie la Bonnardiere and her colleagues. Editor Pamela Bright offers the first English language edition of the highly regarded Bible de Tous les Temps, published by Beauchesne Editeur in Paris. This volume presents the findings of eminent scholars on the Bible in Augustine s letters, in his preaching, in polemics, in the City of God, and as a source for Christian ethics, following the chrological order of Augustine s works from the mid-eighties of the fourth century to just before his death in 430. Part I examines what can be kwn of the stages of Augustine s encounter with the biblical texts and which texts were formative for him before he assumed his ministry of the Word. Part II is devoted to a very different kind of encounter Augustine s grappling with the hermeneutical method originating in the province of Africa. Part III describes Augustine s first foray into the field of biblical polemics when he opposes the Manichees, the very group who first introduced him to a study of the obscurities of the biblical text. And in Part IV, the reader encounters the most familiar voice of Augustine that of the tireless preacher of the Word.
- Author BiographyPamela Bright is chair of the theology department at Concordia College, Montreal.
- PublisherUniversity of Notre Dame Press
- Date of Publication30/06/1999
- SubjectChristian Theology
- Series TitleBible Through the Ages S.
- Series Part/Volume NumberNo. 2
- Place of PublicationNotre Dame IN
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity of Notre Dame Press
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight585 g
- Width154 mm
- Height230 mm
- Spine22 mm
- Translated byPamela Bright
- Volume editorPamela Bright
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
- AU $87.24New
- AU $41.13Used
Cravings: Recipes for All the Food You Want to Eat by Adeena Sussman, Chrissy Teigen (Hardback, 2016)
- AU $43.36New
- AU $112.89New
- AU $97.70Used
- AU $33.23New
- AU $30.36New
- AU $20.41New
- AU $33.86New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $35.02Trending at AU $37.97
- AU $11.99Trending at AU $13.92
- AU $39.15Trending at AU $43.36
- AU $29.54Trending at AU $30.36
- AU $60.98Trending at AU $63.02
- AU $49.18Trending at AU $52.68
- AU $28.30Trending at AU $30.22
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.