All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionIn times of ecomic crisis austerity becomes a rallying cry, but what does history tell us about its chances for success? Austerity is at the center of political debates today. Its defenders praise it as a panacea that will prepare the ground for future growth and stability. Critics insist it will precipitate a vicious cycle of ecomic decline, possibly leading to political collapse. But the tion that abstinence from consumption brings benefits to states, societies, or individuals is hardly new. This book puts the debates of our own day in perspective by exploring the long history of austerity-a popular idea that lives on despite a track record of dismal failure. Florian Schui shows that arguments in favor of austerity were-and are today-mainly based on moral and political considerations, rather than on ecomic analysis. Unexpectedly, it is the critics of austerity who have framed their arguments in the language of ecomics. Schui finds that austerity has failed intellectually and in ecomic terms every time it has been attempted. He examines thinkers who have influenced our ideas about abstinence from Aristotle through such modern ecomic thinkers as Smith, Marx, Veblen, Weber, Hayek, and Keynes, as well as the motives behind specific twentieth-century austerity efforts. The persistence of the concept cant be explained from an ecomic perspective, Schui concludes, but only from the persuasive appeal of the moral and political ideas linked to it.
- Author BiographyFlorian Schui is an economic historian at the University of St. Gallen, Switzerland.
- Author(s)Florian Schui
- PublisherYale University Press
- Date of Publication07/04/2015
- SubjectEconomics: Professional & General
- Place of PublicationNew Haven
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintYale University Press
- Weight227 g
- Width127 mm
- Height224 mm
- Spine15 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $192.00Trending at AU $201.31
- AU $67.99Trending at AU $70.70
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $75.30
- AU $78.00Trending at AU $83.84
- AU $64.76Trending at AU $68.73
- AU $76.88Trending at AU $78.19
- AU $108.88Trending at AU $111.12
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.