All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionAutism is a complex and often puzzling disorder in which pinning down a set of rules surrounding the teaching of children with it is almost impossible to do. Many theories and approaches claim to have the solution to teaching, yet few provide the answers when an autistic child goes against the status quo. Autism and Learning addresses this problem with a principled approach that is based on the understanding of the pedagogy and psychology of autism. It shows how theory can influence practice and sets out a cognitive view of the relationship between learning and autism whilst explaining how the curriculum must be constructed as to accommodate that relationship. The book also sets out principles of pedagogy and illustrates their application. Written by practitioners experienced in teaching children with autism, the book covers examples of good practice in the most salient areas of the curriculum including: * Developing play * Group work * Science * Dance and drama * ICT * Assessment * Communication * Outdoor learning. Now with an updated preface from internationally rewned editors, this classic text should be on the bookshelves of all practitioners working with autistic children.
- Author BiographyStuart Powell is an Emeritus Professor at the University of Hertfordshire, where he was for some years the Director of Research Degrees. Rita Jordan is Emeritus Professor in Autism Studies at the University of Birmingham.
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication21/10/2011
- SubjectEducation & Teaching
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Content Note1 black & white illustrations
- Weight272 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine10 mm
- Edited byRita Jordan,Stuart Powell
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $67.92Trending at AU $111.00
- AU $35.04Trending at AU $42.49
- AU $18.56Trending at AU $24.44
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $48.98
- AU $16.99Trending at AU $18.29
- AU $51.95Trending at AU $53.03
- AU $22.59Trending at AU $27.63
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.