All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionIn the twenty-first century, we are continually confronted with the existential side of techlogy-the relationships between identity and the mechanizations that have become extensions of the self. Focusing on one of humanity's most ubiquitous machines, Automotive Prosthetic: Techlogical Mediation and the Car in Conceptual Art combines critical theory and new media theory to form the first philosophical analysis of the car within works of conceptual art. These works are broadly defined to encompass a wide range of creative expressions, particularly in car-based conceptual art by both older, established artists and younger, emerging artists, including Ed Ruscha, Martha Rosler, Richard Prince, Sylvie Fleury, Yael Bartana, Jeremy Deller, and Jonathan Schipper. At its core, the book offers an alternative formation of conceptual art understood according to techlogy, the body moving through space, and what art historian, curator, and artist Jack Burnham calls relations. This thought-provoking study illuminates the ways in which the automobile becomes a naturalized extension of the human body, incarnating new forms of car art and spurring a techlogical reframing of conceptual art. Steeped in a sophisticated take on the image and semiotics of the car, the chapters probe the politics of materialism as well as high/low debates about taste, culture, and art. The result is a highly invative approach to contemporary intersections of art and techlogy.
- Author BiographyCharissa N. Terranova is Assistant Professor of Aesthetic Studies at the University of Texas at Dallas. She is also a freelance curator and critic, writing at the interstices of aesthetics, space, and new media theory.
- Author(s)Charissa N. Terranova
- PublisherUniversity of Texas Press
- Date of Publication01/11/2014
- SubjectFine Arts / Art History
- Place of PublicationAustin, TX
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity of Texas Press
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight738 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine20 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Management: the Essentials by Mary Coulter, Megan Woods, Stephen Robbins, David De Cenzo (Paperback, 2015)
- AU $111.65New
- AU $93.38Used
- AU $93.38New
- AU $101.47New
- AU $80.95New
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $82.00
- AU $87.99Trending at AU $90.54
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $78.44
- AU $39.02Trending at AU $50.24
- AU $69.89Trending at AU $74.12
- AU $104.88Trending at AU $108.80
- AU $21.33Trending at AU $23.60
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.