All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis book examines how and why automy matters in contemporary social science research. It considers how automy impacts upon the individual researcher, the cultures and values of the university, and research motivation and sponsorship. The authors provide a better understanding of the interplay between individual and institutional automy, the issues arising from this interplay, and the value of an independent academic sector to the external community. Successive chapters consider: the variation in social scientists understanding of academic freedom; the researchers view on academic automy and decision making; the influence of Hayek on thinking about freedom and markets; the idea of academic freedom in 14th century Oxford; the policy basis for academic freedom and automy in Australia; the extent to which automy can be seen in the career of one academic; the particular case of research into higher education itself; and, the impact of the research assessment exercise in the United Kingdom. The book sheds light on a critically important but under-studied issue, seeking to offer a clarification of the meaning of academic freedom and automy, and the roles of institutional regulatory and managerial environments in supporting them. The authors include experts from the UK and Australia; chapters go in to automy within specific contexts (14th century Oxford, Australia, etc.).
- PublisherEmerald Group Publishing Limited
- Date of Publication09/02/2007
- SubjectSocial Studies: General
- Series TitleInternational Perspectives on Higher Education Research
- Series Part/Volume Numberv. 4
- Place of PublicationBingley
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintJAI Press Inc.
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight526 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine15 mm
- Edited byCarole Kayrooz,Gerlese Akerlind,Malcolm Tight
- Format DetailsLaminated cover
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $35.04Trending at AU $36.61
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $34.87
- AU $32.21Trending at AU $40.50
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $24.21
- AU $39.30Trending at AU $40.08
- AU $34.50Trending at AU $35.13
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $27.01
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.