All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionSubnational tax automy is a cornerstone of a viable system of fiscal federalism. The underlying principle is that spending by constituent units in a federal or quasi federal country is paid for by revenues that are under the control of that unit. Ecomists recommend that the taxation base remain the same across all constituent units in a country to minimize administrative and compliance costs as well as tax avoidance activities. There are important differences between constituent units of federal or quasi-federal states in OECD countries with respect to both powers for taxation of personal income and the use made of such powers, if any. Subnational Tax Automy in OECD Federations examines tax automy as a powerful tool in setting tax rates. Two key issues are examined in detail: first, why proposals giving more power to set tax rates have been implemented (Spain), put forward (UK), stalled (Belguim), or set aside (Germany), and second, how such powers are used in federations whose constituent units have them (Canada, Switzerland, and the United States).
- Author BiographyVioleta Ruiz-Almendral is professor of Tax and Finance Law at the Universidad Carlos III de Madrid (Spain). Francois Vaillancourt has worked for thirty-five years in the area of public economics both as a professor at the Universite de Montreal and as a consultant for various international bodies.
- Author(s)Francois Vaillancourt,Violeta Ruiz-Almendral
- PublisherMcGill-Queen's University Press
- Date of Publication25/03/2013
- SubjectGovernment & Constitution
- Place of PublicationMontreal
- Country of PublicationCanada
- ImprintMcGill-Queen's University Press
- Content Noteillustrations
- Weight249 g
- Width3564 mm
- Height5499 mm
- Spine15 mm
- Edited byVioleta Ruiz-Almendral
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $74.37
- AU $35.06Trending at AU $40.71
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $79.35
- AU $18.96Trending at AU $24.44
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $49.03
- AU $16.98Trending at AU $18.30
- AU $51.96Trending at AU $53.08
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.