All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionAt an international conference in Istanbul, high-profile executive Emily White is curiously compelled to raise her hand and bare her soul. Little does she kw that the repercussions will extend far beyond the buzzing seminar room. So begins a union of two souls that are so harmoniously intertwined, it calls to mind two instruments coming together in a stirring sonata. In a highly inventive debut vel by Kaila E. Haines, Autumn Sonata shares a tale of two star-crossed lovers whose convergence is almost musical-and certainly magical. Inspired by the structure of an imagined sonata for pia and clarinet, the evocative love story of Emily and Simon is certain to strike a chord with anyone who believes, or perhaps simply hopes, that soul mates can connect, and ultimately champion the most far-reaching of obstacles. With its finely crafted prose structure that scores the tempo shifts inherent in romantic love, Autumn Sonata is a rare and reverberant look at a love that, like a gorgeous work of music, transcends time and place. A devoted mother, successful marketing professional and devout Catholic who has made a life in Italy, Emily considers her commitments in life and love with great gravity. However, in a thunderous crash, decades of decisions are upended when she meets Simon Russell, a successful, divorced Londoner, who has chosen to confine his affairs of the heart to single-night encounters and a convivial friendship with his ex-wife Susan. When Emily and Simon find their worlds colliding in Istanbul, their connection is all-consuming. Like a single composition in more than one part, their love draws a striking, flawless sonata. To bridge their worlds and their beliefs, Emily and Simon must navigate all manner of loved ones from children to spouses-as well as locales, from Istanbul to Milan and London to Lagos. In doing so, they forge an extraordinary future that serves as a celebration of both recognizing the heart's rare te-and kwing how to hold it. Elegantly measured and profoundly moving, this mesmerizing and reflective tribute to love and redemption conjures a sparkling, considered world as emotionally ripe as a haunting sonata. It's a must-read for anyone who appreciates great craft, and a finely told tale.
- Author BiographyKaila E. Haines is the head of corporate marketing and communication for a large Italian multinational. The mother of three, she spends what little spare time she has reading, writing, and puttering in the garden. She also co-founded and directs a youth group at the local parish in her adopted hometown of Monfalcone, Italy, which helps to keep children off the street. Kaila grew up on the south side of Chicago, and graduated from Grinnell College in Iowa. After graduation, she worked in France for a year as an English language assistant before moving to Italy, where she currently resides. This is her first novel.
- Author(s)MS Kaila E Haines
- PublisherSonata Pub.
- Date of Publication09/06/2011
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectGeneral & Literary Fiction
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintSonata Pub.
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight191 g
- Width140 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine9 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
Best-selling in Fiction Books
- AU $30.89New
- AU $71.58New
- AU $78.99New
- AU $49.08New
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $24.49Trending at AU $30.89
- AU $12.20Trending at AU $16.32
- AU $76.70Trending at AU $78.99
- AU $10.69Trending at AU $16.76
- AU $74.55Trending at AU $82.83
- AU $10.79Trending at AU $18.62
- AU $22.29Trending at AU $22.84
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.