All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionA millennium after his life, Avicenna remains one of the most highly regarded physicians of all time. His Can of Medicine, also kwn as the Qanun, is one of the most famous and influential books in the history of medicine, forming the basis for our modern understanding of human health and disease. It focused t simply on the treatment of symptoms, but on finding the cause of illness through humoral diagsis-a method still used in traditional Unani and Ayurvedic medicines in India. Originally written in Arabic, Avicenna's Canwas long ago translated into Latin, Persian, and Urdu, yet many of the inaccuracies from those first translations linger in current English translations. Translated directly from the original Arabic, this volume includes detailed commentary to explain current biomedical interpretations of Avicenna's theories and ways to apply his treatments today, particularly for individualized medicine. It shows how Avicenna's understanding of the humors corresponds directly with the biomedical definition of proteins, lipids, and organic acids: the nutrient building blocks of our blood and body. With this new translation of the first volume of his monumental work, Avicenna's Canbecomes just as relevant today as it was 1,000 years ago.
- Author BiographyMones Abu-Asab, Ph.D., is a senior scientist at the National Eye Institute of the National Institutes of Health in Bethesda, Maryland. Hakima Amri, Ph.D., is associate professor of biochemistry and molecular and cellular biology at Georgetown University and cofounder and codirector of Georgetown's Complementary and Alternative Medicine Graduate Program. Marc S. Micozzi, M.D., Ph.D., is adjunct professor of pharmacology and physiology at Georgetown University School of Medicine and the founding director of the Policy Institute for Integrative Medicine in Washington, D.C.
- Author(s)Hakima Amri,Marc S. Micozzi,Mones Abu-Asab
- PublisherInner Traditions Bear and Company
- Date of Publication04/07/2013
- SubjectMedicine: General
- Place of PublicationRochester
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- First Published1900
- ImprintHealing Arts Press
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight802 g
- Width152 mm
- Height228 mm
- Spine30 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $57.99Trending at AU $62.11
- AU $34.69Trending at AU $36.61
- AU $73.14Trending at AU $74.82
- AU $50.28Trending at AU $53.01
- AU $31.89Trending at AU $40.50
- AU $37.60Trending at AU $40.09
- AU $34.15Trending at AU $35.14
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.