Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $27.04+ AU $6.00 postage
- Very good condition
- Sold by worldofbooks-australia
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionLying between New York and Lisbon and sometimes referred to as Europe's best kept secret, the Azores are verdant, tranquil, diverse, exquisitely beautiful and always welcoming. These nine green islands are the embodiment of old-world charm and include an elegant capital, remote villages, glittering blue coastlines and spectacular volcanic landscapes. Bradt's Azores is the only publication in English that t only provides details of travel and activities, but also gives in-depth background information about the archipelago's discovery, settlement and subsequent social history. David Sayers outlines how the archipelago erupted from beneath the ocean some five million years ago. Revised throughout, this new edition also includes in-depth sections on whaling, fishing and agriculture, climate, and geology. There is w a wide choice of accommodation, from 4-star hotels to small family-run affairs, simple pensions, rented cottages and B&Bs - all detailed in the guide. Tourism services have expanded with greater numbers of marked walking trails, improved opportunities for diving, whale watching and adventurous activities such as sea kayaking and jeep safaris, and excellent new museums. The islands remain an outstanding destination for walkers and lovers of nature and the simple life. Tourism has t been allowed to spoil the archipelago and the islands retain much of their traditional charm - they are t a beach destination, and there is little nightlife or commercial entertainment. With this guide visitors can discover the best walks, tour Europe's westernmost coast - the island of Flores - visit Europe's only tea plantations or step into the hot springs and gurgling mud pools of Furnas. Brimming with practical information this new edition of The Azores is the perfect guide to these garden-like islands.
- Author BiographyDavid Sayers trained at the Royal Botanical Garden, Kew in London and is a field botanist. After careers in horticulture and social policy he ran a travel company offering specialist botanical tours worldwide. The Azores has long been his favorite destination and he pioneered the first walking holidays in the archipelago, an activity 30 years later now offered by many tour operators. As consultant he has refurbished three important public gardens on Sao Miguel, and is a freelance writer on botanical travel.
- Author(s)David Sayers
- PublisherBradt Travel Guides
- Date of Publication14/11/2013
- SubjectTravel & Holiday Guides: General
- Series TitleBradt Travel Guides
- Place of PublicationBuckinghamshire
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintBradt Travel Guides
- Content Note16pp colour photos & 28 maps
- Weight21 g
- Width135 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine18 mm
- Foreword byBen Fogle
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
- Edition Statement5th Revised edition
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
- AU $62.02New
- AU $5.82New
- AU $22.48New
- AU $33.47New
- AU $30.62New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $59.99Trending at AU $62.02
- AU $40.94Trending at AU $51.88
- AU $32.35Trending at AU $51.33
- AU $29.58Trending at AU $30.62
- AU $49.30Trending at AU $53.06
- AU $26.83Trending at AU $32.55
- AU $39.25Trending at AU $43.67
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.