All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionB.G. is British Guiana; Bhagee is a fiery local stew. Philippa was the second daughter in a family of six children growing up in mid-20th century in colonial Guyana. She recounts her Sisyphean trials growing up a Carrington in Lot 10, First Street, Georgetown -- from the women's battles to the neighbours that never wore clothes to the relatives who walked with their shoes in their hands. Her stories come from a lost civilization of pre-independence stability just as the anarchic blessing of democracy came to the Caribbean. Her escapes came by winning scholarships -- first to Bishops, the prestigious girls' school where new trials and adventures awaited her, and later to Connecticut College.
- Author BiographyGuyanese born Philippa Perry studied in US and Canada, ultimately earning her PhD and becoming a Radcliffe Bunting Fellow. She lectured in Mathematics -- first at University of Guyana and later, for too many years, at Queens College (NY). Philippa has returned often to Guyana, but, these days, primarily for funerals. She currently resides in Pound Ridge, NY where she spends her time chasing deer from her garden.
- Author(s)Philippa Perry
- Date of Publication09/07/2011
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectAutobiography: General
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight259 g
- Width133 mm
- Height203 mm
- Spine13 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $57.99Trending at AU $62.11
- AU $34.67Trending at AU $36.61
- AU $73.12Trending at AU $74.82
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $23.76
- AU $37.59Trending at AU $40.09
- AU $34.02Trending at AU $36.09
- AU $28.52Trending at AU $29.80
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.