Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $22.52Free postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by blackwelloxford
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionWe are living in an open sea, caught up in a continuous wave, with fixed point and instrument to measure distance and the direction of travel. Nothing appears to be in its place any more, and a great deal appears to have place at all. The principles that have given substance to the democratic ethos, the system of rules that has guided the relationships of authority and the ways in which they are legitimized, the shared values and their hierarchy, our behaviour and our life styles, must be radically revised because they longer seem suited to our experience and understanding of a world in flux, a world that has become both increasingly interconnected and prone to severe and persistent crises. We are living in the interregnum between what is longer and what is t yet. None of the political movements that helped undermine the old world are ready to inherit it, and there is new ideology, consistent vision, promising to give shape to new institutions for the new world. It is like the Babylon referred to by Borges, the country of randomness and uncertainty in which decision is final; all branch into others . Out of the world that had promised us modernity, what Jean Paul Sartre had summarized with sublime formula le choix que je suis ( the choice that I am ), we inhabit that flattened, mobile and dematerialized space, where as never before the principle of the heterogenesis of purposes is sovereign. This is Babel.
- Author BiographyZygmunt Bauman is Professor Emeritus of Sociology at the University of Leeds. Ezio Mauro is an Italian writer and journalist and Editor-in-Chief of La Repubblica.
- Author(s)Ezio Mauro,Zygmunt Bauman
- PublisherPolity Press
- Date of Publication01/04/2016
- SubjectSocial Sciences: Textbooks & Study Guides
- Place of PublicationOxford
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintPolity Press
- Weight230 g
- Width138 mm
- Height215 mm
- Spine13 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $79.89Trending at AU $90.03
- AU $17.51Trending at AU $30.19
- AU $24.13Trending at AU $27.67
- AU $41.84Trending at AU $49.72
- AU $31.46Trending at AU $40.45
- AU $27.51Trending at AU $30.35
- AU $35.26Trending at AU $35.71
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.