All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionBacterial toxins that act inside cells interact very specifically with key components of the cell and some even manipulate the cell in subtle ways for their own purposes. These potent toxins, described in this 2005 book, will be of interest to both microbiologists and cell biologists. Some of these toxins are conventional multidomain toxins that are self-programmed to enter cells. Others are delivered by type III mechanisms, often as a package of potent molecules. The molecular targets for all these toxins mediate signal transduction and the cell cycle to regulate the crucial processes of cell growth, cell division and differentiation. Thus these potent toxins are t only responsible for disease, but also provide a powerful set of tools with which to interrogate the biology of the cell. In addition such toxins may act directly to promote carcigenesis and hence their study is also of interest in a wider context.
- Author BiographyAlistair Lax studied Biochemistry at Glasgow University and carried out his PhD work at ICRF, London (now Cancer Research UK) on Dictyostelium discoideum. He was at the Institute for Animal Health in Berkshire for many years, working first on scrapie, then Salmonella pathogenesis and latterly on bacterial toxins. He is currently Professor of Cellular Microbiology at King's College London, where he is Head of the Department of Microbiology within the Dental Institute. His main interest is the novel mitogenic toxin of Pasteurella multocida which activates several signalling pathways in the cell. He co-authored the first textbook on Cellular Microbiology in 1999. His group was an exhibitor at the Royal Society Summer Science Exhibition in 2002 and he is currently writing a popular science book on bacterial toxins.
- PublisherCambridge University Press
- Date of Publication10/01/2005
- SubjectLife Sciences: General
- Series TitleAdvances in Molecular and Cellular Microbiology
- Series Part/Volume NumberNo. 7
- Place of PublicationCambridge
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintCambridge University Press
- Content Note100 b/w illus. 8 colour illus.
- Weight531 g
- Width152 mm
- Height228 mm
- Spine18 mm
- Edited byAlistair J. Lax
- Series Edited byBrian Henderson,Michael Wilson,Sir Anthony Coates,Michael Curtis
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Cravings: Recipes for All the Food You Want to Eat by Adeena Sussman, Chrissy Teigen (Hardback, 2016)
- AU $43.38New
- AU $30.64New
- AU $22.99New
- AU $30.81New
- AU $19.86New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $10.59Trending at AU $13.63
- AU $39.17Trending at AU $50.72
- AU $39.10Trending at AU $43.38
- AU $60.83Trending at AU $63.06
- AU $49.18Trending at AU $52.71
- AU $15.95Trending at AU $22.99
- AU $25.80Trending at AU $30.81
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.