All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionChild-molesting priests, embezzled church treasures, philandering ministers and rabbis, even church-endorsed pyramid schemes that defraud gullible parishioners of millions of dollars: for the past decade, clergy misconduct has seemed continually to be in the news. Is there something about religious organizations that fosters such misbehavior? Bad Pastors presents a range of new perspectives and solidly grounded data on pastoral abuse, investigating sexual misconduct, financial improprieties, and political and personal abuse of authority. Rather than focusing on individuals who misbehave, the volume investigates whether the foundation for clergy malfeasance is inherent in religious organizations themselves, stemming from hierarchies of power in which trusted leaders have the ability to define reality, control behavior, and even offer or withhold the promise of immortality. Arguing that such phemena arise out of organizational structures, the contributors do t focus on one particular religion, but rather treat these incidents from an interfaith perspective. Bad Pastors moves beyond individual case studies to consider a broad range of issues surrounding clergy misconduct, from violence against women to the role of charisma and abuse of power in new religious movements. Highlighting similarities between other forms of abuse, such as domestic violence, the volume helps us to conceptualize and understand clergy misconduct in new ways.
- Author BiographyANSON SHUPE is Professor of Sociology and Anthropology at the Joint campus of Indiana University and Purdue University in Fort Wayne. He is the author of over two dozen books and numerous professional articles. WILLIAM A. STACEY is Professor of Sociology and Director of the Center for Social Research at the University of Texas at Arlington. SUSAN E. DARNELL manages a credit union in Gary, Indiana and is a civil rights advocate journalist.
- PublisherNew York University Press
- Date of Publication01/08/2000
- SubjectChristian Theology
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintNew York University Press
- Content NoteIllustrations
- Weight386 g
- Width3895 mm
- Height5830 mm
- Spine17 mm
- Edited byAnson D. Shupe
- Volume editorSusan E. Darnell,William A. Stacey
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $35.05Trending at AU $36.60
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $35.92
- AU $28.63Trending at AU $30.29
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $24.21
- AU $37.60Trending at AU $40.07
- AU $34.16Trending at AU $35.13
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $27.01
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.